Dolem Thorn
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I've been working on designing a custom adventure that is very scripted.
Instead of drawing off a random tile stack you are told to use a specific tile. Monsters, treasure and events (for the most part) are also pre-scripted. Some tiles have a special treasure table and there are other choices to be made. Different heroes also have different chances of success on some of the special tiles.

In order to prevent reading ahead, everything is assigned a random paragraph number. So a tile might say, if exploring to the east, read paragraph 25. Paragraph 25 might say to reveal tile #11 and then assign a monster and explain the event.

I don't really want to reveal all the details yet because it's probably only fun to play through an adventure like this once. I want to try to get things working really well before I release it. The first one I release will be a solo adventure using only components from the Drizzt game.

The neat thing is this gives you the ability to have an actual story for the adventure (although player choice is still limited) because you can slowly release details to the player. The challenge for me is I've never been a DM. My knowledge of D&D is basically just from reading the novels, so writing a story is new for me.

Thoughts/questions/ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting. Looking forward to try it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dolem Thorn
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
One question I have for potential players is this:

Would you find it too much of a hassle to have to go searching through the monster deck in order to find a specific monster each time you were asked? What about the same for tiles?

I could have a list of tiles and monsters to pull out in advance, but I'm worried it will spoil the adventure a bit to have an idea what you are going to find ahead of time. In my opinion slowing down the pace of the adventure slightly is worth it for the trade off. For a solo player I'm expecting it will be less of an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Soth
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I like the idea too.

I don't think it will be a hassle pulling stuff out as you are only using LoD. I regularly pull stuff out of all of the games and the dungeon command monsters. They all have a logo that tells you what set they are from.

One idea is that trap encounter cards could be disarmed before they go off eg make a spot check needing 11+ to spot the trap. If you fail you put the trap card in play. If you succeed you are then presented with a disarm or avoid option. Give a small XP bonus for avoiding the trap while a large one if you successfully disarm it.

You could also have a similar set up for spotting monsters, finding treasure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quite loath to mention this coz my continuation of it is long overdue... but here was my attempt at a scripted adventure.

Your idea sounds similar so it might be of some help to you.

I shared some of the same concerns you have, hence my 1st attempt was for Ravenloft's solo adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds some book games ( i don't remember the name in english right now) from my childhood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Chambers
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it would be too much of a hassle or slow things down too much. I've enjoyed that approach in a different, more complex RPG, so I'm sure I'd enjoy it with this system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to give it a play if you release it into the wild. I only own Drizzt currently so personally I'm excited that your initial adventure plans only use that set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Scally
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
topera wrote:
Sounds some book games ( i don't remember the name in english right now) from my childhood.

You may mean the Fighting Fantasy series of D&D inspired 'choose your own adventure' books (using numbered paragraphs) begun by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone with 'The Warlock of Firetop Mountain' in 1982.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
mbmbmbmbmb
kasca wrote:
You may mean the Fighting Fantasy series of D&D inspired 'choose your own adventure' books (using numbered paragraphs) begun by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone with 'The Warlock of Firetop Mountain' in 1982.

Wow, deep pull. Nice! I never got any of these books but I wish I had as a kid. I would have liked them I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kasca wrote:
topera wrote:

yeah That was the name! So many memories. I had some great hard times to beat that one, this isn't for kids at all lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Scally
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They were great fun. I see there are Kindle editions available for some of the FF titles:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Warlock-of-Firetop-Mountain/dp/B00...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dolem Thorn
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I remember having a ninja themed book like that as a kid. You had to keep track of your abilities, weapons and throwing stars.

I don't want to set anyone up to think the storyline will be anywhere near that detailed. This will be more like Ambush! the board game, if you know what that is like.

Rough Example:

Paragraph 7:
If you explore in the North direction read paragraph 25

Paragraph 25:
Place tile #11 (a lookup from the tile chart) with the arrow facing South and mark down this paragraph number on the tile chart.
Place a goblin archer on tile #11 and mark it on the tile chart.
Flavor/story text here
Custom encounter description here
If you explore in the West direction read paragraph 17.
If you explore in the East direction read paragraph 6.
If you defeat the goblin archer read paragraph 32. (special loot instructions)
If you some special story related instruction read paragraph 19.

Tile Chart:

Tile # Image/Description Paragraph # Notes/Monsters
1 Open 4 sides
2 Special: Broken Door
11 Narrow Passage 25 Goblin Archer

Hope you can see where this is going and how it makes it easier to introduce new mechanics to override the rules. Also it is supposed to give the adventure a DM-like feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.