Subject: Looking For The Best 2 Player Game!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach Drapala
United States
Temecula
California
flag msg tools
I already have Carcassonne: The Castle, Lost Cities, Citadels, and Hera and Zeus (which I hate!).....recommend a game, and tell me why you like it.
You can check my collection to see how I rated other games, if need be. Basically, reccommend anything....hopefully with a reason good enough to make me want to buy it
Thanks,
Fresh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
If you like Lost Cities, try Schotten Totten, or Battle Line. Both are the gamer's version of Lost Cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta agree with Batlle Line. I haven't played Lost Cities, so I can't compare them, but people seem to like this one a little better. Lots of good tennsion, and while the war theme can turn some people off, it does fit pretty well...for a card game .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Best" is always highly subjective, and if you even find "The Best" you'll probably get sick of it after a while if you play it enough.

I quite enjoy playing Attika with two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jen Kuipers
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best is a subjective thing depending on what you like. My best two player game may not be yours. You've two of the ones I like for two on your list already, Tikal and St. Petersburg.

If you like either of those you might also like Samurai, Jambo, Attika, and or Torres.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juuso Mattila
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers of Catan Card Game, maybe Alhambra...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Stone
United States
Calverton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Babel and Battleline. They are two of my favorites. Babel a little moreso because it adds a bit more complexity (basically more options because each of the races have their own special ability) and because the end game is pretty interesting. Also some light card driven wargames like Battle Cry and Memoir '44 are good.

Good Luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Christenson
Canada
Hay Lakes
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jambo is awesome. Not alot of "screw your opponent' more 'things are equal' sort of thing, which is very refreshing.

Guillotine is nice as a 2 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFreshPrince wrote:
I already have Carcassonne: The Castle, Lost Cities, Citadels, and Hera and Zeus (which I hate!).....recommend a game, and tell me why you like it.
You can check my collection to see how I rated other games, if need be. Basically, reccommend anything....hopefully with a reason good enough to make me want to buy it
Thanks,
Fresh

You hate Hera and Zeus, but rate it a 7?

For two player, consider:

Through the Desert
Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper
Memoir 44
Blue Moon
Dungeon Twister

I have ratings and comments for all but the last under my profile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best two-player game in my opinion is definitely Tigris & Euphrates. The way the board is constantly changing and shifting, and you have to adapt your strategy to the tiles you draw, makes the game very interesting and highly replayable. The scoring system is very clever, by requiring you to balance your strategy and not focus too much on one area. The blend of strategy and luck is just right, and it's always interesting to look back over a game and consider what you could've done differently, whether you should have built more monuments, or sought more treasures, or waged the priest conflict before the farmer conflict, etc. It's also nice because it accomodates 3 and 4 players if need be, but works exceptionally well as a one on one duel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorites is Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation. The game is simple enough that it is quick and easy to explain even to a non gamer. The mechanics are really straight forward and while there are a few exception involving interactions between different characters, the rules are pretty straight forward as well. The game doesn't take a long time to play but offers lots of tough choices and tense moments. The current version just available from Fantasy Flight also provides an expanded character selection so you can mix and match your units for endless game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Howard

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
My wife and I started on Carc: The Castle and moved on to The City (after playing the original Carcassonne for quite some time). We find it's an awsome 2 player game and have logged in easily a hundred plays in the last year or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Banjo McCardel
United States
Ridgefield
WA
flag msg tools
You are mighty small, little Banjo, and your flippers are tired. But one day, you will become...
badge
BANJO...KING of the Seamonkeys!
mbmbmbmbmb
For two player, my fiance and I really like Balloon Cup (to be fair, though, we just got the game). The balloon theme keeps it from feeling too confrontational, but there is quite a bit more player interaction than Lost Cities, since you can play cards on your opponent's side. Plus, the math is much easier!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Samurai would be a good game for you. Reasons:

- It's by Knizia, who did Lost Cities and Carc: The Castle
- Lovely board and components
- It plays quickly (say 45 minutes)
- Scales well from 2-4 players (best with 2 or 3 though)
- Easy to teach
- Fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Conrad
England
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="sbszine"]I think Samurai would be a good game for you. Reasons:

I agree, 1 vote for Samurai.
Plus we like Caesar & Cleopatra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kupferkessel remains fun after many plays. Set collection with memory component and interesting pawn movement. Nice graphics. Some versatility (e.g. can be played with or without recipe card, can be played with 3). Fairy Tale is another possibility in a similar vein. Different aesthetic (anime plus CCG feel) and no pawn movement (but fun draft mechanism). Plays 2-5.

Phoenix is an excellent couples game or a game to play with non-gamers, but, for me, it's not a contender for best 2 player game. It's kind of a one-trick pony. So far, Samurai, Roma, YINSH, Fjords, and Shazamm! have all seemed more engrossing/challenging than Phoenix. But I've played a lot more Phoenix than any of the rest of them because it's quick and accessible. Just depends on what you're looking for. Are you likely to be playing with the same person(s) over time or will you be playing with a bunch of different people? If the former, I'd recommend looking for something with a bit more depth. If the latter, go for accessibility and for a game that accomodates players with different levels of skill well.

One of the virtues of both Samurai and YINSH is that they have simple rules yet complex and varied strategies, so they handle the accessibility vs. depth tradeoff nicely (but they do raise the different levels of skill issue). Shazamm! and Roma both require some work upfront getting to know the different cards, but there's a nice payoff as you explore the various ways in which they work together. For me, the main selling point of Fjords is that it's got a couple of different things (one Carcassone-like, one Samurai-like) going on in a really manageable time-frame (1/2 hour). Kind of like two games in one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Drapala
United States
Temecula
California
flag msg tools
Thanks Alot!

I will be playing with the same person pretty much all the time, and yes I would like a wide variety of themes/mechanics/etc.

Games I am looking at getting are:
Balloon Cup
Babel
LOTR Confront
Odins Ravens
San Juan
Blokus
Samurai

Keep recommending!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thomas
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of the games you're looking at, I recommend San Juan, Odins Ravens, and Babel. Samurai is good too.

I also highly recommend Lost Cities, St. Petersburg, and good old backgammon. Attika is quite good for two, as someone mentioned above.

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.