Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Iverson
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played my first game of Tantrix tonight, 3p game, we were all newbies to it. All the rules were crystal clear in the booklet except a very basic one, over which we had a fierce debate. I'm surprised nobody mentioned it yet in the forums after all these years.

Suppose Player A creates the first forced space of the game. Player A draws a replacement tile, of course. Is Player A now supposed to play again if possible to fill the forced space, or is it now Player B's turn? I know that starting with Player B's next turn, everyone takes 3-part turns of first filling in all possible forced spaces, then making a free move, then once again filling in all possible forced spaces. It is just this first moment that is in question, for Player A who created the first forced space of the game.

THANKS! Also, if anyone can show proof of the correct answer as used in tournament play, that would be appreciated as well!!! --NEO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smilin' Stan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would player A be different? Every turn consists of: fill forced spaces, play a free tile, fill forced spaces.

At the start of the game there will be no forced spaces but the turn sequence is unchanged. Creating a forced space that you can fill is much of the strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iris Gil
Spain
A Coruña
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you say, there are 3 things to do in a player's turn:
1st - Fill those forced spaces for which the player has tiles
2nd - Free move (the player places a tile and takes a new one from the bag)
3rd - Fill the forced spaces the player created or those which he has gotten a tile after his free move.

In the situation you describe, when player A creates the first forced space of the game, he is in the 2nd stage of his turn. Then if he takes a tile from the bag that fit the forced space he created, he must place it (That would be the 3rd stage of his turn). If he takes a tile that doesn't fit there, then comes player B turn. The forced space will be filled once any player has a tile for it.

I'm a Tantrix Master modest, so I can verify this are the tournament rules. Also, if you are interested in playing Tantrix or more strategy tips, go to tantrix.com, you'll find both things. Well, you could even play yourself in tournaments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Iverson
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, thanks both of you very much for the clarification!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.