Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jim maher
Ireland
Dublin 16
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the thing. I really like the theme , look and overall game play of this game and I am a fan of Plaid Hat but...... In reading the reviews two strong criticisms have been consistently voiced and as a consequence I am finding it hard to make my mind up on whether to buy or not. The first seems to be around the patrol phase and its propensity to severely affect unlucky players the negative views are very harsh on this point. Personally I love elements of randomness in a game but obviously without destroying the game play so I am wondering where it lies on that scale.The second criticism centres on the auction process and the fact that a lot of the cards are so faction specific that it dilutes this aspect of the game enormously which to meis a great shame.

So please any insights greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weston Ferguson
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
While certain cards do have greater strength for certain factions they usually have an ability worth having. Also part of the game is preventing your opponents from getting the cards they want or are useful to them, sometimes it is better to outbid them even if the card isn't that useful to you. As for the random patrols I would say they aren't enough to screw anyone out of victory if they know what they are doing. I will say in a game played as yellow it seemed like I had the clear lead most of the game, barely was touched by the yugai patrols, red had to deal with most of them and ended up winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I thoroughly enjoy the Yugai Patrol Phase. Yes it adds a random element to the game, but it really provides tense moments of action. I like games that can cause the whole table to whoop and hollar at times, and the Yugai Patrol Phase provides plenty of those moments.

Regarding the typecasting of the factions, there's plenty of exploration room within the cards provided. Some mercs favor certain colors, but it's by no means locked down in strategy. You have a whole bunch of game variables to juggle -- from the merc deck, the black market deck, your deployment and area control tactics, the development tiles you choose to invest in, and your combat hand management. This doesn't even start to consider the deals and backstabs that fly around the table throughout the game.

The exploration space of the game is much bigger than the complaint that some of the mercs favor certain colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Weston's sentiment.
I think the patrol phase is well done. Poor planning is your worst enemy in this game.

As for the other point, yeah, some cards are a lot better for certain factions, but none are worthless (or even close to worthless) for any one faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact that cards are weighted for certain factions makes you more carefully consider the value of hate drafting them, or buying them just to deny them from others. No card is worthless.

The patrols can be planned for, and you can profit off it if lucky, while the potential negative effects of the dooms die are not as harsh as the potential rewards are good, in my opinion, as one of the negative effects does not necessarily effect you at all, and the one that makes you lose money rarely matters since if you had money, you likely would have bribed the patrol instead.

I always leave cards or money enough to deal with patrol and never lose to them. If someone is unprepared, it is by choice. If they are defeated by patrols, it is likely because they were pushing their luck, and I think that is a fun aspect of the game if you are into testing your luck when behind as long as you know it can backfire.

For instance, if I have the last action of the round and am behind in points, I can play it safe and refresh my hand or sell product. Or I can push an attack in hope of avoiding patrols and making a comeback. The choice is yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim maher
Ireland
Dublin 16
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much guys your views on the issues I raised have convinced me to put the game on my purchase list.

Regards

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Slabon
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jopm wrote:
Thanks very much guys your views on the issues I raised have convinced me to put the game on my purchase list.

Regards

Jim

Good move! You won't regret it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.