United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up A&A Pacific 2nd edition this week and expect to get Europe soon. I'm considering doing something...cannibalism. I have a first edition A&A from the early 80s that likely hasn't been played in 15 years. Likely it won't ever be played again. I'm thinking of cannibalizing pieces from it for the 1940 games. What pieces have others cannibalized? I figure at the least we're talking dice, AA guns and factories. Do the ships match up close enough in terms of colors? I haven't opened up the old game yet but I'm thinking I might just strip it of everything useful and then holding a funeral. Sort of the wargame version of organ donation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
It likely won't be of much use.

The chips aren't compatible in terms of the grooves that make them inter-lock.

I believe they changed the color of the Japanese units at some point.

The main thing you could take from your old game would be the play money.

The factories might also be interesting, but you would need some way to distinguish major IC's from minor IC's. If you had a copy of Revised (grey factories) and the old MB version (white factories) that issue could be solved by stripping both.

Also, be careful about adding the planes to the mix. Adding a third shape would probably lead to more confusion between Fighters and Tactical Bombers. I'm not sure what fighter mold the older games were using, but it has likely been completely changed.

Oh - and the dice might come in handy for large battles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I just broke out my old Axis and Allies. Here's what I'm thinking.

The old AA guns are a definite. Ok, nationas have their own AA guns these days but it might be useful.

The factories definitely work. I simply use the factories to represent major industrial units and the cardboard for minor. I'll try and get the grey ones eventually which will represent the minor. I found one place online that carries them but they are out of stock.

Ships and other pieces don't. The pieces in the new game are significantly larger and of slightly different design. The colors of the US and British pieces are very close. Close enough that you could do those even with the difference in size but the Japanese colors are completely different. Just not practical really. Maybe I can sell them on Ebay.

The old game has a lot more dice. They'll be handy. I might actually pick up some nice Chessex dice for the game though. I like having nice dice for my games and when you're rolling 8-10 dice with some of the big battles it might be nice to have some of the smaller Chessex dice.

Play money works but the money I have is 30 years old. It's showing it's age from a lot of handling and years. To be honest I like keeping track of that on the board anyway or I might simply use poker chips. So the money is out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.