BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: That Sinking Feeling rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever start off really liking a game only to find that it quickly loses its luster? If you can relate, here's my latest post:

http://boardgamerspastime.com/?p=17

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got to agree with Jon's comment. You have too many games!

But seriously, with the constant focus on what's new and what the next best "flavor of the month" is, it's hard to give a game its proper due. Plus there's the fact that we all seem to rate more highly a new game than ones we have played a lot already. That shiny new game allure is strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
What you are saying makes sense to me. The joy of discovering and playing a new game is still a thrill for me.

It seems like all of the games that you talk about fall into one category: Euro-types. I have to admit, I am getting the same feeling with these games. Instead of my shiny new game seeming like it is shiny and new, it has that 'already played' retread type of feeling.

Luckily, I still enjoy some of the overly-long and clunky games in other genres. I am on a bit of a Fantasy Flight, RPG thing right now. Yes, they certainly are less elegant, strategic, and balanced, but they feel new and different, and each have their own character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan R. Moon
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mlanza wrote:
Ever start off really liking a game only to find that it quickly loses its luster? If you can relate, here's my latest post:

http://boardgamerspastime.com/?p=17

I think it comes and goes Mario. I've had a huge resurgence in interest, both in games in general, and in longer, more complicated games like 18XX series games in the last six months. Will be interesting to see if it lasts, since I'm going to a lot of game events this year!

Alan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do know what you mean, and it makes me cry. crycrycry

I have a few games like that, and I keep wondering if I should have foretold how I would feel later on. I could save myself a lot of money that way, not to mention space! I need space!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I disagree with the too many games analysis. First, I think you have to play a lot of games to figure out which ones hold up for you over time. Secondly, I don't consider it a waste of money if I have great fun playing a game even a couple of times (and can pass it on or share it with someone who will have fun playing it as well). Most books I buy I read only once. I appreciate the ones that I keep going back to, but I probably learn at least as much, cumulatively, from 20 books I read once as I do from the one book I read 20 times. Why should games be different? If you've got the time/money/space (good point -- also my issue with books!), you can game both intensively and extensively -- both approaches are legitimate, rewarding, and fun.

The challenge for us is pacing -- I tend to want to try a bunch of new stuff and then sift and focus, my husband wants to master something before he moves on to the next thing, and my daughter can't get enough of whatever her current fave is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I tend to agree with Alan on this. Yes, you do seem to focus almost exclusively on Euros and maybe it's time to change the scenery and try a few highly rated games you normally wouldn't buy. Speaking of Alan, look on his recent Geek List of what he liked in 2005, there are some interesting games there.

Try a few war games, perhaps some of what have been called Atlantic Games, polished games that aren't Euro, aren't war, but have elements of both.

I'm certain I've mentioned this before, but I'll repeat it; I like your blog quite a bit. Keep writing it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it all comes down to where a person is in their life. If I had plenty of time, I'd probably still be purchasing every game, toting it to the game group every Wednesday night, and only the best of the best would see three plays per year, as we'd always be trying something new.

But with precious little time (I don't think I averaged 2 games per month last year), I can live with just the tried-and-true. Why test the waters of any of those mini-reviews you mentioned (none of which I've played) when I can be playing something I know I'll like?

And I think (hope) it goes in cycles. When I was single and childless, I could experiment as much as I liked. When I reared a kid for the first time, games were on hold until he reached the age of playing games. That meant a few years of He-Man and D&D (the cartoon) games before getting back to the good stuff. When he was in high school and college, I was back to lots of gaming, reading rules, buying games and such all over again. Now with a new crop of kiddies, the cycle starts over (no gaming now, hopefully more as they age, tons more when I experience Empty Nest Syndrome ).

All in all, I think it's curable (just buy less) or at least tolerable (keep playing all-new all-the-time). Either way, you get what you ask for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smithhemb wrote:
Hmm, I disagree with the too many games analysis. First, I think you have to play a lot of games to figure out which ones hold up for you over time. Secondly, I don't consider it a waste of money if I have great fun playing a game even a couple of times (and can pass it on or share it with someone who will have fun playing it as well).

You make a lot of good points. Yes, I tend to agree, pacing is part of the issue.

DWTripp wrote:
I tend to agree with Alan on this. Yes, you do seem to focus almost exclusively on Euros and maybe it's time to change the scenery and try a few highly rated games you normally wouldn't buy.

What are these Atlantic Games about which you speak. I am always up for trying new games; trouble is, I lack other gamers who have the enthusiasm to show me their favorite flavor of games.

One of the biggest parts of a good game day, is the group with which you play. While I have an assorted lot of acquaintences that are all nice fellows, I really lack gaming friends that are at a similar place in life as I am. As such, my best game nights are with my close friends who themselves are not gamers.

DWTripp wrote:
I'm certain I've mentioned this before, but I'll repeat it; I like your blog quite a bit. Keep writing it!

I really appreciate the positive feedback.

Randy Cox wrote:
I think it all comes down to where a person is in their life. If I had plenty of time, I'd probably still be purchasing every game, toting it to the game group every Wednesday night, and only the best of the best would see three plays per year, as we'd always be trying something new.

It's good to see I'm not alone in this. Yes, there are views on both sides of the fence. I do tend to think I'm a little extreme. It certainly is not my goal to have so many games with one or zero plays. I enjoy digging in a little more, but I just can't seem to keep myself away from freshness!

Thanks to all for the comments.

See you in April, Alan. Enjoy those 18XX games. A little exhausting for me.

Mario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
What are these Atlantic Games about which you speak. I am always up for trying new games; trouble is, I lack other gamers who have the enthusiasm to show me their favorite flavor of games.

Here's the thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/12790

In addition I'd personally put Friedrich, Struggle of Empires (or the new Eagle Conquest of the Empire), the recently released Command & Colors Ancients and a few others on the list as being very close to crossover or hybrid games. Some may disagree with the Command & Colors system because it was used in Memoir '44, but the direction Borg is taking the system seems to be where some of these other games are.

One of my next purchases will be Twilight Struggle and then waiting for a few of the games on charshep's list to be released.

Another thing I have learned about introducing new games is that theme and toys can have a huge impact on how receptive non-buyers are to a game. Railroad Tycoon was an enormous success in my group and it's received heavier play than I would have predicted, along with almost everyone I game with buying a copy for themselves.

I had similar experiences with Ticket to Ride a couple of years ago and my store sold several hundred copies. Now that we'll soon see the next step in the evolution of this excellent game I suspect the added complexity and more subtle mechanics will appeal to gamers who are more serious about their games but who also enjoy the toy and theme factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tripp,

I have Friedrich, Struggle, and Antike but haven't played them yet.

I have Tempus high on my to-buy list and will get it ASAP.

I put Conquest of Paradise on my watch list.

Any others, and you can let me know...

Just know that I don't like games that simulate war--not because I'm opposed to the subject matter, but because I'm opposed to depending on dice. (I recently played Byzantium and had terrible dice -- it's crazy I know. Despite the bad dice, I did like Byzantium quite a bit.) Usually these sort of games (when multiplayer) require ongoing diplomacy, an aspect I don't favor much. I prefer games that allow me to focus more on my play and personal development and how it interacts with and interrupts other players and not on scheming.

Thanks for the tip.

Mario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.