Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pokedrag, gota get em all. Sorry but this is not exactly a new idea (I seem to recall seeing a dragon themed game like you are describing).

I wish you luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Green
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be of interest to you:

http://www.bgdf.com/node/6095

I re-wrote Wrymkyn (I am GreenO) for another competition last year. You are welcome to plunder it for parts. Send me a GeekMail if you are interested and want the full rules set, I shan't bore folk with it here. Description follows:

Dragonkin- A game of exploration and giant lizard breeding

Dragonkin is a language independent card game in which the players compete to complete the most missions and breed the most prestigious looking dragons.

Mission cards provide challenges that the players they must complete with the help of their dragons, dragon eggs and two D10 percentage dice.

Each player starts the game with one dragon and one egg. The egg is valuable at the end of the game if it is not hatched, but careful decision making is important here: choosing just the right time your egg is critical in deciding who will be victorious.

Six missions are revealed each turn for players to choose. Each mission can only be attempted once – you can either succeed or fail. Completing these missions earns prestige points, but they can also be used later to upgrade your dragons. A player can use the completed missions to influence the colour of a dragon hatched from an egg or modify an existing dragon by giving it shiny new armour or turning it into an undead zombie dragon!

As the game nears its end, you get the opportunity to complete ULTIMATE missions. These are very prestigious but if you fail these, your prize dragon might pay the ultimate price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pleaseletmewin wrote:
Thanks for that. I think I need to try and find a new game idea but every possible genre has hundreds of games - sci-fi, fantasy,rpg. It is hard to make a game that is completely new with nothing like something invented before. I guess it takes a long time to invent a new idea...

Welcome to BGG. Yes, completely original games are very hard to come by. Pretty much every game out there resembles another game in some way, and everyone here acknowledges that fact. That's not meant to discourage you, but to let you know that you don't need to find that needle in the haystack in order to create a fun game that people will enjoy playing. Just allow yourself to create something, and see where it goes.

The only thing that's frowned upon here is blatant duplication of a game. The term "stealing" is heavily guarded, because: (a) unintentional similarities are going to happen; and (b) there is something to be said for improving upon the mechanics of an existing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fin coe
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also worth pointing out that the more complex your game design is, the more original it is likely to be. Dice-rolling PokeDragons? Yep, probably done. Intensely deep math-heavy dice-rolling RPG solitaire game with alchemy elements on an Octagon-and-Square grid?
Probably done as well. But not quite as probably.
Look at how you can make your game different. Don't dwell on the similarities.

lwdgames wrote:

Welcome to BGG.

Yup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C J Miller
New Zealand
flag msg tools
pleaseletmewin wrote:
Thanks for that. I think I need to try and find a new game idea but every possible genre has hundreds of games - sci-fi, fantasy,rpg. It is hard to make a game that is completely new with nothing like something invented before. I guess it takes a long time to invent a new idea...

There are some mostly untapped themes, but the more popular ones are definitely completely glutted. People out there are actively looking for untapped themes too...

When i started designing my own game, the idea of an Anime Miniatures game was largely unbroached (i searched for 3 days and only turned up Infinity, Anima Tactics and Collateral Damage, which isn't a minis game but touches on the same subject matter i was interested in), then over the last year Super Dungeon Explore, Relic Knights, and Something-or-other Arena popped up, as well as a couple of non-commercial WIPs and PnPs.

I spent too long researching mine for it to seem "fresh" or "innovative", but i'm persevering because this one is MINE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Pokedrag, gota get em all. Sorry but this is not exactly a new idea (I seem to recall seeing a dragon themed game like you are describing).

I wish you luck.

See, you need a completely fresh, original idea like mine. I'm working on Xenoform: Duels, where you capture and train alien creatures to attack each other in ritualized formal duels. Totally original!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are you aware of the dangers foxes pose to you and
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
pleaseletmewin wrote:
Could you try and tell me the name of the game because if it is similar to mine i can change it.

You can't go around changing other people's games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
pleaseletmewin wrote:
Could you try and tell me the name of the game because if it is similar to mine i can change it.

You can't go around changing other people's games!

Show me in the rules where it says that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.