Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
A new category has appeared one my contribution page "Board Game Implementation".

About 30 of my comments were moved to this category.

The threads all seem to involve games that have been reprinted/updated in some way.

Just curious about this reorganization and why the word "implementation" was chosen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
This thread announced implementations: Recent changes to BGG. As the main use case seems to be "game y reimplements the system from game x", I don't know what else they could have named it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Implementation is the term we have used in game entries for several years with Re-implements and Re-implemented by links in the description. The recent change in the programming moved the linkage between parent and child up into a separate field so we no longer have to create duplicate links in the description.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the advantage of partitioning the comments? I could imagine the the database would be restructured but that it would be invisible to comment allocation.

I also don't understand why reimplentation is preferable to version especially since all of the "reimplemenations" are the currently available versions on the market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
I also don't understand why reimplentation is preferable to version especially since all of the "reimplemenations" are the currently available versions on the market.

Steam reimplements Age of Steam.
Shogun reimplements Wallenstein (first edition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
dkearns wrote:

Steam reimplements Age of Steam.
Shogun reimplements Wallenstein (first edition).

Excellent examples that nicely illustrate the issue.

However, in my implementation "folder" are games like:
Runebound 2nd edition
Space Hulk 3rd edition
Dungeonquest 3rd edition
Descent 2nd edition
Android: Netrunner
Arkham Horror

None of which made sense to me. As in "Arkham Horror is a reimplementation of Arkham Horror" or "Runebound 2nd edition is a reimplementation of Runebound 1st edition".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2005 version of Arkham Horror reimplements the old 1987 Arkham Horror. Those two are very much not the same game, and I think it's more than just two versions of the same game. Labeling, say, the two different editions of Eclipse as different versions makes sense, but in the case of Arkham Horror and the other games you listed, where the are significant differences between the games, "reimplements" makes perfect sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Understood. Thanks everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.