David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
If a ship colloids into Arvel can he fire at it since he is "touching" it? The text seems unclear.

"You may declare an enemy ship inside your firing arc that you are touching as the target of your attack"

Does this mean that you may declare a ship to be inside your firing arc if you are touching them as a target of your attack?
Or you may target a ship inside your firing arc as a target of your attack if you are touching them?

Essentially the question is if someone runs into Arvel from behind can you target them. I assumed the answer was yes but I'm uncertain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it must be in the firing arc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor Terrill
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, that's not what the ability is saying. The target ship always has to be within Arvel's firing arc. The difference is, normally you can't target a ship if you're touching it. Arvel can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hughes
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
His special ability reads: "You may declare an enemy ship inside your firing arc that you are touching as the target of your attack."

Let's break it down.

"You may declare an enemy ship..."

"...inside your firing arc..." (enemy ship must be inside your firing arc - this is per the rules. The special ability does not allow you to fire outside your arc.)

"...that you are touching..." (you may be touching the ship - this is the part of the special ability that breaks the rules - normally you cannot target a ship that you are touching)

"...as the target of your attack."

Hope that clears it up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manary Corte
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
Best game of all time...
badge
...Twilight Imperium 3!
mbmbmbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:
If a ship colloids into Arvel can he fire at it since he is "touching" it? The text seems unclear.

"You may declare an enemy ship inside your firing arc that you are touching as the target of your attack"

Does this mean that you may declare a ship to be inside your firing arc if you are touching them as a target of your attack?
Or you may target a ship inside your firing arc as a target of your attack if you are touching them?

Essentially the question is if someone runs into Arvel from behind can you target them. I assumed the answer was yes but I'm uncertain.

I assume that, if someone runs into Arvel from behind and doesn't overtake him, he will stay behind and, therefore, out of his fire arc.

If Arvel runs into someone from behind without overtaking, instead, he can have the shot.

Thematically, Arvel can shoot someone who is above or below him, as long as the target is still in his fire arc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Breuch
Germany
Kettig
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:

Or another version of the same answers like above...
No, you can not declare an enemy ship as "is inside your firing arc".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.