Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Famous Patrick
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently introduced my wife and grandson to Munchkin and they both love it; so far, it's the only board/card game either of them like very much. The problem is that, quite often, I am with just my wife or just my grandson and they want to play a game, but Munchkin loses too much as a 2 player game.

Any suggestions for a 2 player game for Munchkin lovers?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Rowe
Canada
High River Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I knew you wanted to mouse over my Avatar :).
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmm there could be a multitude of answers here as you guys are new to the gaming world. The answer can vary greatly.

For a two player game my wife loved Lost Cities, We still play it but not very often. Our game of Munchkin sits unplayed for along time but has been replaced by games which have now peaked our interest. I believe that gamers mature in different ways as we delve into this hobby. Below are the games we have grown through since starting with the likes of Munchkin. Note that some are not only two player games.

Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot
Lord of the Fries
Balloon Cup
Zombies!!!
Tikal

After these we started to explore different games

My wife's favourite are the crayon rail games which are deep but engrossing. I really enjoy these with my wife and have some very good games with her. Below are games we got into after a few years.

Empire Builder
Memoir '44
Ticket to Ride
Puerto Rico
Saint Petersburg

Now we have moved into games like

The Castles of Burgundy
Dominant Species
Agricola
Hammer of the Scots

With our kids we enjoy many of the co op games such as

Lord of the Rings
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Shadows Over Camelot
Pandemic

Hope some of these links help for your research. Have fun entering this massive hobby. Someday maybe we will be playing Advanced Squad Leader against one another.cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Famous Patrick
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thegamer wrote:
Mmm there could be a multitude of answers here as you guys are new to the gaming world. The answer can vary greatly.

For a two player game my wife loved Lost Cities, We still play it but not very often. Our game of Munchkin sits unplayed for along time but has been replaced by games which have now peaked our interest. I believe that gamers mature in different ways as we delve into this hobby. Below are the games we have grown through since starting with the likes of Munchkin. Note that some are not only two player games.

Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot
Lord of the Fries
Balloon Cup
Zombies!!!
Tikal

After these we started to explore different games

My wife's favourite are the crayon rail games which are deep but engrossing. I really enjoy these with my wife and have some very good games with her. Below are games we got into after a few years.

Empire Builder
Memoir '44
Ticket to Ride
Puerto Rico
Saint Petersburg

Now we have moved into games like

The Castles of Burgundy
Dominant Species
Agricola
Hammer of the Scots

With our kids we enjoy many of the co op games such as

Lord of the Rings
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Shadows Over Camelot
Pandemic

Hope some of these links help for your research. Have fun entering this massive hobby. Someday maybe we will be playing Advanced Squad Leader against one another.cool

Thanks for the response. I will check these out.

I think what my wife (favorite game: gin) and my grandson (xBox: FPS) like about Munchkins is the combination of humor, semi-complex rules (compared to Clue) and strategy.

The alternative around my house seems to be TV or everybody with his/her own iThingy/Kindle/Console game; I think we'd all like more interactivity with each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Vmec
Austria
flag msg tools
My Wife and I love playing
Pandemic (2-4 Players)
Kingdom builder (2-4 Players)
lost Cities. (2 Players)

We also play:
Carcassonne(2-6 Players)
Dragon heart (2 Players)
Munchkin Quest (2-6 Players)

Some other games you might like:
Atlantis (2-4 Players)
Cafe International (2-4 Players)
Halali (2 Players)
Stoneage (2-4 Players)
Cartagena (2-4 Players)
Talisman (2-6 Players)
Arham Horror

i've read something about the Mage Knight, thats supposed to be a good cooperate game, I have not tried it yet (1-4 Players). Also new is Mage Wars (2 Players) seems to be good as well.

Some other Card / Dice Games:
Bohnanza(Also as dice game)
Black Stories (Story telling card game, many editions)

I have not found anything thats like Munchkin thou and only for two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Famous Patrick
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ent19 wrote:
My Wife and I love playing
Pandemic (2-4 Players)
Kingdom builder (2-4 Players)
lost Cities. (2 Players)

We also play:
Carcassonne(2-6 Players)
Dragon heart (2 Players)
Munchkin Quest (2-6 Players)

Some other games you might like:
Atlantis (2-4 Players)
Cafe International (2-4 Players)
Halali (2 Players)
Stoneage (2-4 Players)
Cartagena (2-4 Players)
Talisman (2-6 Players)
Arham Horror

i've read something about the Mage Knight, thats supposed to be a good cooperate game, I have not tried it yet (1-4 Players). Also new is Mage Wars (2 Players) seems to be good as well.

Some other Card / Dice Games:
Bohnanza(Also as dice game)
Black Stories (Story telling card game, many editions)

I have not found anything thats like Munchkin thou and only for two.

Thanks for the suggestions. There are several in these lists that I think would work for us, plus they lead to other related games. I am new to BGG and am absolutely dumbfounded by it. What a huge resource for people like me, though I have to say it's a bit like the white rabbit! Maybe I should turn off "one click" at Amazon for a while.bag
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
All the games listed above are "better" (more highly rated here, more strategic, ...), but when I was new to the hobby and enjoyed Munchkin myself I also enjoyed Fluxx -- just pick the theme that suits you. Actually, I still rarely enjoy Fluxx 2-player. However, I wouldn't necessarily play it with too many players. At least, not too often!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Vmec
Austria
flag msg tools
you can test some of these games online at: www.brettspielwelt.de
There are also alot of english speaking people there that can help you there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Famous Patrick
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimbobJones wrote:
I would move to some good gateway games

- Ticket to Ride
- Small World
- Zooloretto
- Carcassone (I'm not a big fan, but know a lot of people who are)
- Settlers of Catan (one of the first "euro" games that people get into)
- Castle Panic (co-op)
- Forbidden Island/Pandemic (co-op)

After that, things get more complicated, because you'll start to go toward the "deeper" games, and your taste in those are more dependent upon what you like/don't like in other games.

I would stay away from Arkham Horror, Mage Knight, and Mage Wars for quite some time. They're all incredible games, but they're definitely "gamer" games that might overwhelm people new to the hobby.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Famous Patrick
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
All the games listed above are "better" (more highly rated here, more strategic, ...), but when I was new to the hobby and enjoyed Munchkin myself I also enjoyed Fluxx -- just pick the theme that suits you. Actually, I still rarely enjoy Fluxx 2-player. However, I wouldn't necessarily play it with too many players. At least, not too often!

We like Fluxx, but it doesn't look to me like a good 2 player game. I'll have to try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Famous Patrick
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ent19 wrote:
you can test some of these games online at: www.brettspielwelt.de
There are also alot of english speaking people there that can help you there.

Wow! That's an interesting site. I'll have to spend a few hours there in the near future. Thanks for the link!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Lush
United Kingdom
Littlehampton
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Patrick did you find a game in the end? Just curious on how your adventure turned out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Famous Patrick
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richlush wrote:
Patrick did you find a game in the end? Just curious on how your adventure turned out!

Thanks for asking.

Not really. It's difficult to find a game that has enough complexity and humor, and yet still be simple enough for someone who is not a hard core gamer. I have a couple of dungeon crawlers that I like, but they are too serious for her. In the end, we are settling on various Ameritrash style games.

The new card game based on the TV series "Castle" is an example. With some jiggering of the rules, you can make it difficult enough to be a challenge, but the goal is too straight forward and the play repetitive.

We are pretty much just playing short sessions with simpler games, changing often to keep up interest.

I picked up Forbidden Island. We haven't had time to play it yet, but I've been thinking that cooperative gaming might be the best way for us to go. When she is well enough to give it a go, I'll post our results on this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Lush
United Kingdom
Littlehampton
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Did you try posting in the general forums under gaming recommendations? You'll get a much bigger response, some helpful, some who don't pay any attention to what you've actually said and want to just push there favourite game! I'm racking my brain to think of something that might work for you. Co-op's like Forbidden Island might be good for you. If you want a bit of humour, Red November might be ideal, though it does seem to have very mixed opinions. It's a co-op about gnomes stuck in a submarine where everything is going wrong, and beer gives them strength. I did see that Munchkin Quest is two player I think? Being in the Munchkin family, though different to munchkin, it might help fill the void?

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.