Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm interested in starting a Math Trade, I'm thinking with a wargame emphasis, but I'm not sure how! How does one go about getting or using the math trade software? I understand the concept from watching prior Math Trade lists, but the mechanics of it elude me. Anyone willing to help me out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Lindsey did the last one, she might have some tips...

(Would Axis and Allies count?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsey Dubb
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Re: Interested in starting a math trade, but I don't know...
edosan wrote:

He would be very surprised to find out that he was a she.

I’d suggest participating in a couple before moderating one. That’ll give you a much better idea what’s involved. It’s probably also worth looking at past math trades, to see what kinds of problems can occur. Edit: Oops — You already mentioned that you’d done that!

Mark Johnson was planning to moderate a wargame-only math list pretty soon, so you may be able to try a wargame math trade before running one of your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsey Dubb
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Oh, and you probably already have spotted this, but there’s a math trade guide (from the perspective of a participant, not a moderator) here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/93555

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Lindsey wrote:
edosan wrote:

He would be very surprised to find out that he was a she.

Whoops! Sorry... blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsey Dubb
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
edosan wrote:
Sorry... blush

No problem at all. It’s definitely a tough one for people to guess right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips Lindsey, I also found your guide, of course, during the time when you ran the last math trade at the start of the year. I also saw that a possible math trade was planned for wargames...after which, although getting a rousing response on the forum, nothing at all.

I suppose it would be better to just trade or sell the ones I no longer want on CSW and not bother with a math trade on BGG. What seemed like a nice idea to connect people with games they might want, sounds like a lengthy wait of indeterminate time for someone else to start it.

Thanks for the info, regardless!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsey Dubb
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I am somewhat surprised there haven’t been any notes about upcoming math trades since the last one finished — I think there were three separate people who mentioned that they were planning one, soon. But like you say, you can’t know for sure until it’s announced. Maybe Mark came to his senses?

If you want to trade immediately, you could certainly start one, yourself. My “watch and wait” advice comes mostly from seeing that your trade rating was 1 — If you’re an experienced trader elsewhere, and have given a close read to some math trades, that would put you in a better position to know what to expect.

Then again, trading on CSW could well be a good idea, too. I don’t know how trading here and there compare. In terms of the least work for trading your own games, I suspect that moderating a math trade isn’t the best way to go. (After all, you’d be moderating the trades of everyones games, not just your own.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also listen to the episode of my podcast that discusses the subject of Math Trades. There is some information there, although Lindsey's print guide is the comprehensive choice.

Find that episode and my other podcasts at: www.boardgamebabylon.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
cnd_77 wrote:
CSW has a very active marketplace community (less so for trades). If a person is simply interested in getting rid of unplayed wargames, I recommend the CSW marketplace as the way to go. I've seen large lists of games posted for sale, and hours later most or all are gone.

posted a big trade on CSW, I'll see if it gets a response. Trading about $200 for about $80 (trading value), so I hope it'll whet someone's appetite! If it doesn't trade there, I'll try posting a straight trade here. Failing that, I'll go back there for a straight $$ sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Whew that was easy! Took a few hours to make a trade exactly like what I wanted, and with options! Very cool. Doesn't up my trade rating here, but was way faster than running a trade list of any sort, and I'm not sure I would have gotten my "wish list" so exactly had I used a trade list. CSW is defintely a good option

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.