Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Vee
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are warped countersheets a bad thing? Will the individual counters be warped and difficult to stack? Will the warping get worse over time?

I purchased a newly released game from my favorite gameshop and found the whole stack of counter sheets warped. It's as if the sheets got wet and were air dried. The game is from a publisher of good repute so I doubt this was a QA failure.

Help me fellow wargamers, you're my only hope
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never detected any warping in individual counters from warped countersheets. It happens, it is part of this life we lead. No, the counters didn't get wet and were air dried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen some pretty warped counter sheets over the years but once the counters are punched it's no big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Vee
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses gents. Just wanted to see if it was worth the hassle (on my part and customer service) to get replacements.

Alfred, yeah, I don't think the counters got wet. I suspect some weird differences in humidity between the time the components were made, transported, stored then sold.

There's got to be a meme in the making here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I've seen tiny bits of warping on counters - but if anything
it actually helps with stacking - unless they are facing in different
directions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never seen warped counters or sheets that were not clearly water damaged. I guess I'm lucky so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If you haven't punched yet, press the countersheets under a stack of heavy books. They'll be flat after a couple of weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's like the curvature of the earth. Noticeable if you're talking about a portion of the earth's surface that extends for hundreds of kilometers, but pretty much undetectable if you just look at your back yard.

An entire counter sheet sometimes warps, but for an individual counter, not so much. I have one U.S. Geological Survey map hanging on my wall---the section that includes my house. The map is flat, but I don't think there's much distortion. They cover the entire U.S. with zillions of maps, just like a counter sheet is covered with zillions of counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R K
Canada
Amherst
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've had warped counter sheets in old ASL modules I picked up (really old, like first printing Red Barricades and stuff) and I also assumed it was humidity. I found that after punching them they were the individual counters were indistinguishable from my non-warped collection...just looks like a big deal when the counter sheet is whole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the contrary, I have bought a game from a local fella that didn't store his game very well and the GDW game I got from him (Bloody Kasserine maybe or one of the games of this intro wargame series) was extremely warped with all the counters bent out of shape on the spruces. The counters were obviously swollen bigger and didn't fit in the frame any more and on the edge were zigzag just to fit in the smaller space. The counters themselves looks brittle from all the years of expansion and contraction under fluctuating Hong Kong humidity conditions. Game is still playable and the colors are fine but the counters look thicker and a bit like a dried wanton.

Not to mention the slightly mildew/mold smell. I had to air it out in the sun for a few days as such stuff can easily spread like an infection throughout you collection if you're not careful! Not a problem in more temperate areas I am sure, but in tropical/coastal areas its definitely an issue to be careful of. (much of these observations are due to years of collecting cameras and lenses which have very similar storage problems in our climate.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Marrero
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
looks brittle from all the years of expansion and contraction under fluctuating Hong Kong humidity conditions. Game is still playable and the colors are fine but the counters look thicker and a bit like a dried wanton.

Hmm, my wife has said this too, but I don't think she was talking about my wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Ames
United States
Pasadena
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Living in Colorado, I have the opposite problem: dryness leads to warping of games shipped in from more humid climes. It can be a problem for games with large cardboard pieces, but I've never observed it being a problem for counters.

Regarding "will it get worse with time?" as a harpsichord owner, this question is always at the top of my mind. And the answer is: it depends. For any given humidity/temperature condition there is a steady state level of warping beyond which things will not get worse. Something small and relatively permeable like thin pieces of cardboard should achieve it pretty quickly. It gets scary with large, delicate pieces of wood which acclimate slowly and may have a quiescent state which is something like "riven with gaping cracks."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Silica packets in the boxes also tend to help, had some slight issues with Z-man games things before and throwing a couple of those packets in the box helped soak up the moisture.

The good news on those is that you can also use them as a preventative too, they dont hurt to have a packet or two in your boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Foo Dog wrote:
Thanks for the responses gents. Just wanted to see if it was worth the hassle (on my part and customer service) to get replacements.

I think so. I'd contact the company for replacements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
bob_santafe wrote:
I think so. I'd contact the company for replacements.

A top-service publisher will replace the countersheets even if it's possible you might be okay with the original warped ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If you buy a classic AH game at this point in unpunched condition you can almost guarantee it'll be warped a bit. I've never noticed it affecting the individual counters once punched though. If the counters themselves are in pretty good shape ... punch and enjoy! If the counters are warped a bit, just pile some books on that sucker for a few weeks and it should take care of itself. Let gravity help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.