John NotBatman

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've been looking around for MY perfect storage solution. Previously I've been cramming everything back into the two Core Set boxes I have. I hadn't thought to keep the inserts to all the expansion packs I've bought, so some of the solutions proposed are lost to me. I didn't want to commit to custom foam because it limits expansion capacity. Plus, wave two really honked me over with those big ships.

At the same time, I want to keep everything together and logical to help minimize set-up times. I've been studying every storage solution thread that gets posted, looking for the right one for me and so far nothing QUITE made it for me, until I combined a few ideas that were rolling about.

I was trolling the junk storage at Menards when I found the following case:

It has removable trays that fit very nicely inside the Core Set box.

It took three of these cases (at about $5 each, locally) to contain my current loadout:

Currently, this 2 Core Box system is holding the following:
4 X-Wings (2 Core + 2 X-Wing Expansions)
2 Y-Wings
3 A-Wings
1 YT-1300
6 TIE Fighters (2 Core + 2 TIE-Fighter Expansions)
2 TIE Advanced
4 TIE Interceptors
1 Firespray

Each ship bin (on the right) holds all of the tokens and requirements for each ship. (With the exception of the TIE Fighters - their movement dials don't fit nice with the ships so they're in their own bin.)

In the future I'll want another Interceptor and maybe one or two more A-Wings. I can fit these. Unfortunately, I'll also want one more of each of the large ships, and I'll want to be able to accommodate any future releases, of course, so I may "have to" buy another Core Set to keep it all in, and so there will need to be SOME rearranging in the future. The modular nature of the individual ship-bins should handle that nicely.

The idea of 3D asteroids and some bulkier additional elements (mat-board Correllian Corvettes, proxied Lambda shuttles, etc) will require some re-working, obviously, but the foundation of the game can be contained in a reasonably secure, concise, segregated environment that pleases me.

What I like about this is that I get to keep everything in the nice, pretty boxes the core set comes in. Everything is, basically, segregated into it's own tray, so there's no fumbling about looking for the correct number of shields and whatnot. If my Rebel list consists of a YT-1300 and 2 X-Wings, I pull out the trays that contain their ships/materials (and the bases, which are stored separately) and I'm ready to go. The same goes for any combination of Imperial Fighters - simply pull the bin that the ship is in (the big ships have bins though they themselves don's fit nicely inside them) and everything needed has been pre-sorted.

Also, the firm plastic bins keep everything pretty safe and secure inside the box.

It's the most efficient set-up I've been able to come up with and at only an additional $15 investment on top of the miniatures already purchased (with enough individual bins left over that I should be covered for a little while) it didn't do any real damage to my wallet, either.

For ME, I think this is the perfect storage solution, for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
i love it! i think i have almost as much fun finding ways to store the game than play it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xBino wrote:
i love it! i think i have almost as much fun finding ways to store the game than play it!

That's a big "almost", as the game is pretty awesome to play. I could add that I almost have as much fun squad building as I do when playing the battles out with friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Huhtala
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minor note. You might want to keep your two damage decks stored separately. When you play a tournament, you need to have one single damage deck (with only the cards that originally came in that deck).

Other than that, I really like how you have all the necessary components stored with each individual ship. I'll bet that really cuts down on set up time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
This looks compatible with my Stanley storage. Can anybody tell from these pictures whether or not its the same system?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John NotBatman

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Waterhobit wrote:

This looks compatible with my Stanley storage. Can anybody tell from these pictures whether or not its the same system?

The bins in the Tool Shop box don't have the pegs underneath - they're flat bottomed. The size LOOKS comparable, but I don't have them here with me to check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work John.
Here is my take on an original box storage solution.

The drawbacks to mine are that it requires a bit of work and ships aren't individually packed in a bin with the required components. The up-side is that it can hold quite a bit of stuff.

Here is the Rebel box:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.