Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron
Switzerland
Leysin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This card also has me mystified.

Can someone please explain how it works. Does te subroutine benefit the corp in some way? I looked for an official explanation of the card but found mixed messages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaxommm wrote:

Can someone please explain how it works. Does te subroutine benefit the corp in some way? I looked for an official explanation of the card but found mixed messages.

If the subroutine fires, the runner is forced back to the first piece of ice on the server, run the whole thing again.

The thing is, the runner may simply jack out afterwards, as the rule "cannot jack out before the first piece of ice" only applies to the very first ice encountered during the run, not the first in the stack of ice on this server.

making it an expensive end the run. That you have to pay 5 for to use again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Tuism explained, it sends the Runner to the beginning of the server again. In order to get in, the Runner must face all of the Ice- again. Cell Portal is a money sink; if the Server has a set of Ice costing 7 Credits to break, for example, by rezzing Cell Portal you make the Runner choose between jacking out, or paying the 7 Credits again.

There are two downsides: one, Cell Portal must be below a bunch of other Ice (making its early-game utility low), and two, Cell Portal derezzes after firing, forcing the Corp to pay again if the Runner does not break it. Both of these caveats can be mitigated by a deck built around them, however, I don't think that anyone has managed to do a good job of using Cell Portal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
Switzerland
Leysin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
jaxommm wrote:

If the subroutine fires, the runner is forced back to the first piece of ice on the server, run the whole thing again.

The thing is, the runner may simply jack out afterwards, as the rule "cannot jack out before the first piece of ice" only applies to the very first ice encountered during the run, not the first in the stack of ice on this server.

making it an expensive end the run. That you have to pay 5 for to use again.

Thanks Tu...the card doesn't make as nearly as much sense as you do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[sub] Runner must choose one:
1) End the Run
2) Move back to outermost ICE protecting the Server and continue the Run.

Derez Cell Portal after the choice is made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Combo it with Akitaro and it's pretty good. Once we get either a) a card to prevent the runner from jacking out, or b) a card to prevent a piece of ice from derezzing, it will be very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Think of it as reading "End the run. The runner may immediately make a new run on this server without spending any clicks. Derez this piece of ice."

It will be better once we have options to keep the runner from jacking out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tunguska's CPA
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Sunset increases Cell Portal's utility. The first lets you install it late game and then rearrange the order to make it useful. The second.

You could even have, say, three pieces of ICE - Neural Katana, anything, Cell Portal, rez the second piece, then Cell Portal, then send the Runner back and rez Neural Katana after they're spent money breaking ICE 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
Think of it as reading "End the run. The runner may immediately make a new run on this server without spending any clicks. Derez this piece of ice."

It will be better once we have options to keep the runner from jacking out.

Close - but any effects in place (Stimhack, Maker's Eye, Account Siphon, etc) stay there.

I almost did the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spags
United States
Ill Mil
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
Combo it with Akitaro and it's pretty good. Once we get either a) a card to prevent the runner from jacking out, or b) a card to prevent a piece of ice from derezzing, it will be very good.

Right. Also, combined with Dedicated Servers, there is a SLIGHT viability for CP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Brooks
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Of course an over-advanced Braintrust helps bring it into a cost efficient range. I'd be okay paying Chimera prices for a strength 7 code gate. A great server has [Something annoying] > Chimera > Cell Portal with Akitaro in the root. Chimera makes them need all the breakers, then Cell Portal needs to make them pay a lot to break it. Chum in the mix makes things worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.