Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Eastep
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any plans to do a consolidated rulebook for this game and all it's expansions, and all the FAQs? It is sorely needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm Gonna Wreck It!
United States
Spring Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't disagree, but according to the designer supposedly there are more expansions planned this year, including a troll expansion so it may not be anytime soon. That being said a dedicated fan

*cough*
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Scythe!
badge
Life is not a game - games are life.
mbmbmbmbmb
*cough* would probably have to take the time to do it.

I hope a mini expansion is released some time soon with some more professional versions of his summer league scenarios and winds of war variant though. I would love a high quality version of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

No plans to create a revised rulebook that includes the FAQs at this time. Rob is correct that more is on the way this year, but the Troll Alliance will not be one of the expansions, but hopefully some day. The planned expansions include:

4 Minions Packs: 1 for each of the base game races. These packs will have unique race minions (20 Base units and 5 Unique) along with minion cards for easy reference during play. Each pack will have some special cards also that can be included in play.

1 Gates Miniatures pack: Has 5 Gate minis and some new Global Effects (Not randomized).

Quests of the Realm Deck: New, player sized Quest deck, expanded to many more quests, some Quest revisions, and a few new rules for acquiring and changing quest during play.

Hopefully the future will see the Companions & Catacombs and the Summer League in a Boxed set entitled Great Battles of the Realm, but they will not be published this year. At present, I doubt Eagle will publish the Troll Alliance based on their game publication line and most recent product decisions, but hopefully someday it will be published.

In the meantime, thanks for your interest in the realm.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Scythe!
badge
Life is not a game - games are life.
mbmbmbmbmb
First, just to be clear, I never told anyone that the Troll Expansion would be here this year because I knew that it would not be - unfortunately for all of us. soblue

And second, if I hadn't gotten married a year and a half ago I would probably very well have been the dedicated fan with enough time to construct a consolidated rulebook. As it is, however, now I have a regular gaming partner - so I'm far too busy playing games for an undertaking like that. Sorry guys.

Keep Defending the Realm. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john bernardo
United States
yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear there are no current plans for a consolodated rule book.

Once one has to start flipping through various books (plus FAQ's) it is not worth buying if one plays multiple games.

I'll wait a few years and see what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrCrow wrote:
And second, if I hadn't gotten married a year and a half ago I would probably very well have been the dedicated fan with enough time to construct a consolidated rulebook. As it is, however, now I have a regular gaming partner - so I'm far too busy playing games for an undertaking like that. Sorry guys.

Congratulations and that (being married and gaming) is way better than consolidating the rules.

For what it is worth carcassonne is another game where, to the best of my knowledge, an official-printed-and-distributed-with-the-game-omnibus-rulebook has never been created by the publisher or designer and is badly needed.

There is a very complete and (and I think) authoritative rulebook put out by dedicated fans (is it from carcassonne central?). But it is a group of them, not just a 1 person job (I believe...can anybody speak more authoritatively on this?).

Personally, I just have the base rulebook and the FAQ printed out and in the box and this seems to work well for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hulk Hogan
United States
flag msg tools
"Hopefully the future will see the Companions & Catacombs and the Summer League in a Boxed set entitled Great Battles of the Realm, but they will not be published this year. At present, I doubt Eagle will publish the Troll Alliance based on their game publication line and most recent product decisions, but hopefully someday it will be published."

I was very much looking forward to the Companions & Catacombs, but at least now I can stop checking these threads every few days to see when it is coming out! So I'm both bummed, but also freed from my anticipations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thayne Weston
United States
Nibley
Utah
flag msg tools
The die has been cast- Julius Caesar
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the idea of summer league getting published that would be nicer then what I have.

Richard any chance of running a kick starter to launch some of the expansions? I have to feel there is enough support for the game to get the backing to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Leeson
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Obviously a few months late on this one, but I second that it would be nice to see a revised, consolidated rulebook. I was surprised at some of the decisions in laying out the rules - nowhere in the entire book is there a simple chart showing the steps of a player turn.

Refreshing your life tokens and then spending tokens to perform actions are kind of lumped together in a paragraph, and then the next six pages or so go into detail on all of the different actions you can take, but nowhere is a turn just summarized A, B, C.

And even in the pages detailing actions, or on the chart on the back of the rulebook, fighting minions and attacking generals aren't included on the list of actions. They're only delved into in their own sections following the master list of actions. It would be nice if ALL the actions were listed and THEN expanded on as necessary.

Just basic formatting stuff that makes it way harder than it needs to be to learn or teach the game. "Ok, what do I do after I'm out of actions?" "Now you flip through the next five or six pages looking for the next step of your turn."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Any chance of running a kick starter to launch some of the expansions? I have to feel there is enough support for the game to get the backing to do it.

It is hard to say. I am glad that Eagle Games is running this expansion and understand that they have limited resources and many other games that they publish. Having said that, I hope we can bring more to the faithful fans of the games before too much more time passes after this campaign. Time will tell, but either way there are some nice things offered in the campaign and the opportunity to get some great rewards.

Thanks again to everyone for your loyalty to the game and support of the KS campaign.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Brett, The rules could certainly use an update to Version 2.1 and I would like to see a simple rule book with examples and a guide on specifics about hero skills, actions, etc... so players were not always thumbing through the rules. The game has grown with expansions and there are many new actions and specific hero skills and specialties that make writing simple rules difficult, but there is room for improvement.

I do not have time at this point to rewrite the rules, but if some loyal player is out there with the skills to layout and write concise, yet clearly detailed rules that want to tackle it, maybe we could get them published for players to purchase or to be part of a future KS program.

As for my timeline to address new rules, I suspect that I will want to do a 2nd edition within the next 3 years and at that time I want to revise a lot of things to be more functional for players and to take the game to the next level thematically with a lot of ideas I have - but alas, for now that is just something to look forward to.

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Bergstrom
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Richard Launius wrote:

I do not have time at this point to rewrite the rules, but if some loyal player is out there with the skills to layout and write concise, yet clearly detailed rules that want to tackle it, maybe we could get them published for players to purchase or to be part of a future KS program.

I have thought about rewriting the rules, including the expansions, and have a good idea of how it should be done.
I doubt I'll ever find the time tho and I'm not sure my English is good enough for publication. But should I find the time, I guess I could always upload the revised rules in the files section.

In the meantime I have, for my own personal pleasure, summarized official rules I find important from various FAQs. This is all stuff that is not stated, at least not clear enough, in the rules that comes with the base game or its expansions. This summary is about 3 pages long and I'm now using it for reference instead of the FAQs.
I didn't plan showing it to anybody so It's in Swedish (or more like Swenglish). But if a lot of player should be interested I guess I could translate it to English and upload it to the files section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.