Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mage Wars Arena» Forums » General

Subject: Magic the gathering vs Mage Wars. Disgruntled mtg player needs help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm sick of mtg for a lot of reasons....the same as all other frustrated mtg players. Anyway, will MAGE WARS scratch my itch and be the game I hoped mtg would be?

Discussion and advice appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Edmond
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For no reason at all, I have just up and quit playing MtG, and been playing Mage Wars every Friday. I still love MtG, I play duels of the Planeswalkers about every day on my Xbox. But Im just been wanting to play mage wars more. No real reason except thats what I feel like doing. Mage Wars will scratch that MtG itch like no other...Nothing has ever scratched that itch before for me until mage wars, not other CCGs, LCGs, board games, video games(Well Duels obviously). None have ever come close, not by a long shot. This game will keep you up at night thinking of your games and new decks just like MtG does. Do yourself a favor and buy this game. Think about it...You can get this game on amazon for the price of ONE fatpack. A whole new game! For the price of ten booster packs. And there is zero chance of you opening the box and being disappointed and feeling like you just threw money away on cards you dont even like. As a plus, not spending money on MtG cards have let me buy even more games then ever before.

TL;DR- Buy Mage Wars, get every MtG player you know to atlest to try Mage Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Antkowiak
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played magictg in years 1999-2004. Then I played in a couple of different card games (Warcry, L5R, Star Wars, Game of Throne). Mage Wars is the best.
MW will be more than you need and expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Hjelme
Norway
Arendal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because I've played mtg also I would say yes. But of course it depends on what kind of itch you want to be skratched.

You can of course just buy and test Mage wars for a fraction of what it would cost you to stay involved in mtg more than a few months.

If you are looking for a deep and customizable game of mages and creatures kicking each others around in an arena, you can't go wrong.

And also, no shuffling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot recommend that you try this game enough, but understand that this is not the quick pick-up game that MtG is. As a new player, games lasting 60 minutes or so are not uncommon. But like all games, this will only speed up once you and your opponents are more familiar with the cards and interactions. Another jarring experience may be the analysis paralysis that can happen since no draw means having the ability to decide between several card choices sometimes.

These are not cons, they are just things you may discover as you play your first couple of games.

Oh, and fixed distribution yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My biggest beefs with mtg are:

1. It's a ton of money to stay competitive and there's no upper limit.
2. It's not a "fair" game. The guy with the most money wins. Unless you're playing a booster draft or playing with friends of equal skill and money, you're likely to get outclassed very quickly.

I want a game that will give me the CUSTOMIZATION and DECKBUILDING of mtg but without the cost. I also want the game to be more fair in the sense that everyone has the same chance of being able to make a good deck. Kind of what the LCG games have tried to do (although, I agree, they seem to be a little flat and I don't know why. It seems like such a good idea).

Does Mage wars have enough cards available to make DECKBUILDING a very deep and rich and complex process? Do you feel limited by the lack of cards? Are there expansions? Will they keep making more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
very good game, and its not a money pitt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me Mage Wars was what I always wanted MTG to be. So I feel my itch is more than scratched.

Mage Wars solves all the problems Magic created for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sounds good guys. Thanks. I'll check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another old MtG player here who gave up on it because the boosters/expansions were a challenge to keep up with.

Mage Wars involves a lot of what I loved about MtG but will hopefully stay 'in check' as far as complexity and expansion.

So far so good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
You won't regret trying mage wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dbrundin wrote:
My biggest beefs with mtg are:

1. It's a ton of money to stay competitive and there's no upper limit.
2. It's not a "fair" game. The guy with the most money wins. Unless you're playing a booster draft or playing with friends of equal skill and money, you're likely to get outclassed very quickly.

I want a game that will give me the CUSTOMIZATION and DECKBUILDING of mtg but without the cost. I also want the game to be more fair in the sense that everyone has the same chance of being able to make a good deck. Kind of what the LCG games have tried to do (although, I agree, they seem to be a little flat and I don't know why. It seems like such a good idea).

Does Mage wars have enough cards available to make DECKBUILDING a very deep and rich and complex process? Do you feel limited by the lack of cards? Are there expansions? Will they keep making more?

I am also a former MtG player that gave it up and plays MW now. Money wasn't the issue for me per se, I got tired of spending it and cards getting restricted or banned. It's been a while since I've played so I don't know if this is still an issue. The fairness issue doesn't exist in MW so there is no need to concern yourself with that. Cost and value are subjective but I have never heard anyone say anything but MW is a great value.

Building a spellbook in MW is a different beast than building a deck in magic but it should scratch the same itch for you. Even with just the core set there are enough spellbook building options to keep busy for quite some time. There is one expansion currently available and another slated for a summer of 2013 release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Edmond
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlike magic, you can always play this game as well. I can find people to play out of print board games with no problem, finding people to play a collectible card game after its dead is quite another problem. The point in saying this is, this will always be a great game on your shelf... if you ever have someone over who likes games...they will play mage wars with you. If you ever have some one who likes games come over, they will likely not want to build a deck and play with your collection of random MtG cards.

And yeah...I really only like to play sealed for MtG anymore...its the only true test of skill anymore. (Even though I do really well with rouge decks, but I fear my meta is nothing but people who copy netdecks and never really care to learn the game, outside of what cards are good.) Modern is a breath of fresh air for MtG....I cant get my local hobby store to host Paper, or commoners magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Well "la de" freck'n Da!
badge
The "Dennis System".
mbmbmbmbmb
Im a OLD mtg player that quit also, Mage Wars blows mtg away!, I can see this game replacing that pit!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is there enough balance of skill and luck? How strong an influence does deckbuilding have on the game? I like mtg except for the cost and balance (fairness) issues.

I actually enjoyed that mtg had the random card draw element. Does the "perfect knowledge" of MW make this a pure game of skill like chess?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And have the expansions been good or bad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theophrastus Bombastus
Austria
flag msg tools
Dbrundin wrote:
Is there enough balance of skill and luck? How strong an influence does deckbuilding have on the game? I like mtg except for the cost and balance (fairness) issues.

I actually enjoyed that mtg had the random card draw element. Does the "perfect knowledge" of MW make this a pure game of skill like chess?

Since you are rolling dice for damage, healing, effects etc. there is some randomness for sure.^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dice are 0-2 each; so huge swings in luck are rare indeed (but can happen of course).

Of course, I usually get a total of 0 when I roll to heal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sure, but will good players always win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dbrundin wrote:
Sure, but will good players always win?

The more skilled player will have an advantage. The luck of dice rolling can offset it a bit.

There is a lot that goes into the skill of the game; aspects like:
Spell book construction.
Choice of spells each turn.
Action choices.

So as you advance your skill in various areas you will be able to hold your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, in Mage Wars, cards aren't really cards in the traditional sense. Mage Wars cards are never shuffled. They are essentially game objects; in a very real sense they are actually flat miniatures. Mage Wars is really more like Heroclix than MTG. It's just a lot cheaper to print tons of cards than mold tons of miniatures that also need stats, descriptions, and a way of tracking damage. Cards plus damage markers become simply a better way of managing game information.

Next, think about this in terms of randomness; with mtg, every new card you draw has the *possibility* of winning or losing you the game, or of significantly shifting the gameplay, and you never know what's coming next from either side. So the only variables you have control over are the deck itself, and your skill. MTG is kind of like riding a horse with a mind of its own bareback without any reins: you have *some* control with your legs, but it can go where it wants and really your only choice is to jump off or not, and hang onto its mane if you don't want to be thrown off.

On the other hand, with Mage Wars, the only randomness involved is the occasional roll of the dice for combat or an effect. You have control over not only your deck (spell book), but also your skill *AND* you know exactly what is coming next on your side of the board. It's a powerful horse, but you have reins, a saddle, stirrups, and all the things you need to guide it...the real question is where you want to go, and how fast you get there depends on the quality of the horse, your skill, and the terrain you encounter.

In any given combat roll, you can roll badly; but, if you have executed a smart strategy, you'll have other options that will compensate for a bad roll. On the other hand, if you are drawing poorly in MTG, there isn't anywhere to run...literally. You are just at the mercy of your draws versus your opponent's draws.

You also have complete control over what types of gameplay you can prepare strategies to counteract. You also have fixed costs associated with card acquisition. In terms of cost, every card in Mage Wars is equivalent to every other card, since you know exactly what is in each box and you can find the lowest prices online.

So from a completely objective point of view, Mage Wars is not only cheaper, it is strategically more interesting, because it gives you more control over any particular game's outcome, since you can always have access to ALL the cards in the game for deckbuilding, and then you always know exactly what cards you have left in your spell book during the game. I believe the rules also state that you can examine your or your opponent's discard pile at any time, so you don't have to keep track of how many copies either of you has played.

I see Mage Wars as a brilliant combination of MTG, Heroclix, and a miniatures game like War Machine.

The only drawback for a MTG veteran is that you have to basically rethink what a mage battle is. Rather than a puzzle-like boxing match, it's more like a complex football game in Mage Wars. You're a coach sending players onto a field for a protracted conflict with ebbs and flows.

I think of it more like the difference between eating a sushi roll (mtg) and a four-course meal. With the sushi, it might be artful, delicious and complex, but there isn't much of it, and you get a few bites and you're done, and you want another one and then another one. With the four-course meal, you settle in for an experience, and you enjoy dish after dish, and when it's over, you're satisfied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Person99 IntentionallyLeftBlank
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
To me Mage Wars was what I always wanted MTG to be.

This is is exactly how I feel. I describe Mage Wars as "the game MtG should have been."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In competitive magic a tournament caliber player should have a good idea of every card in his opponent's deck in the first few turns. He should know how his opponent's deck works and what he needs to do to win and in fact if he is likely to win. The luck of the draw is the only thing in question unless the match up is very even. Basically you should know your deck's chances against the field going in.

Mage wars plays way different. Once the players engage, which can happen as early as turn two predicting if a turn will go your way is comparable to predicting how a game of magic will go. If both players have a few creatures on the board you may make as many tactical decisions in a single turn as you would in an entire game of magic. The biggest X factor is your opponent. Since all his options are available at the beginning of his turn, good luck predicting what he will do. All you can really do is play in such a manner as to encourage him to play along a path you wish him to go. Every game I'm surprised by my opponents choices. Sometimes it's a you've just made a huge mistake and now I'm going to punish you, severely. Other times its a, I never thought he would do that, I'm screwed type of surprise. And still other times it's a head scratching what's the point of that kind of surprise. In MW the uncertainty comes from the interaction between players, not what your deck decides to give you this turn. Both can be exciting. When I lose a game of MW I can always look back and find decisions I could have made differently and maybe won the game, but if I did play it different how would that have changed my opponent's choices?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MW is like football to me. You can pick your players; pick your playbook; call your plays, but then the dice sometimes give the players a mind of their own.

Sometimes the dice say "fumble"; sometimes "Hail Mary", but it would be so AP prone and boring if dice were not involved. Like the first version of Descent, where you did AP to death to analyze the outcomes, instead of just planning your move and "ATTACK" now with V2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic the Gathering Tactics is on STEAM and a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.