Subject: Geek of the Week #395 - Scott "Tox" Morris - Crits Happen rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Black Belt Robert
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings folks!

It is now time for me to take a moment and write a few words about the new Geek of the Week. When I was asked by Rick (Ricky Royal - Box of Delights on Youtube) to be the geek last week, the very first person I thought of to be the next geek was Tox over at Crits Happen (also on Youtube).

As a fellow "Youtuber" I highly respect Tox for all of the time and effort he puts into bringing us such entertaining and informational content on gaming. I have learned about so many different games by watching his channel and I love the way he brings so much energy, thoughtfulness, and passion into his videos.

Even though he is a busy guy with many responsibilities, he always seems to find the time to interact with his viewers and answer their questions. If you have not already - please take a moment to check out Tox at his Crits Happen sites on Youtube, FaceBook, Twitter, and Google+.

Please help me to welcome Tox as this week's Geek of the Week!!!

Wonderful video Tox! Great looking family!

Two truths and one lie about Tox?

Poll
Tox has given us 3 statements, 2 of which are true and 1 of which is a lie. Which one is the lie?
I first met my wife in a bowling alley while joining a bowling league, and I was wearing a leopard print bowling shirt.
I have only played DnD once and I was kicked out of the play group after one night of play and getting 3 of the 4 characters other people were playing killed.
My prize possession is a full set of the DC Super Powers action figures from Kenner, which are all loose, making them both super cool yet nowhere near as valuable as if still on the card.
      161 answers
Poll created by Black Belt Gaming

Here's hoping I did that poll right...It was my first.

And then a few questions from me to kick things off:

d10-1 What is your favorite Magic the Gathering color to play ?

d10-2 How did your grandfather react when you finally defeated him at checkers ?

d10-3 Besides gaming, do you have any other hobbies ?

d10-4 Is there a game you thought for sure you would hate, but then you actually loved it once you had the chance to play ?

d10-5 How is life different for you in Texas than New York ?

d10-6 Could you tell us how you came up with the name Tox ?

Have a great week !

Best wishes, Robert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Congratulations:

Scott "Tox" Morris
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
1d20 = (17) = 17

Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Shirey
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love this nomination, Definitly well deserved.

My question for you is if you and your wife could only play 1 game together, what game would that be? As a fellow married gamer I am always looking for that perfect game I can play with my wife, Ours is Penny arcade deckbuilding game, she kills me in it but always has fun time.

What game is your family's favorite game to all sit down and play? We do family game night every Friday night and so far our favorite game is Smash Up.

Congradulations TOX!!!!! I have been following you for awhile now and I have to say that it's wonderful to see you nominated here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott "Tox" Morris
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, thanks Robert, I'm really appreciative of the kind words and nomination. You're geek of the week was a blast, I'm sure mine is as enjoyable! Thank you again!

and... we're off...

Black Belt Gaming wrote:

d10-1 What is your favorite Magic the Gathering color to play ?

Black. I have about 4 decks still put together and one of my favorites ever was a Gravepact deck. Did really well against all but mono blue at the time. I love the recursion and sacrificing mechanics.

Black Belt Gaming wrote:
d10-2 How did your grandfather react when you finally defeated him at checkers ?

I remember this clearly. He laughed quietly as I was yelling, "I won, I won!" and then said, "Good job, now set 'em up again." We played immediately again, and I lost, but we always had fun!

Black Belt Gaming wrote:
d10-3 Besides gaming, do you have any other hobbies ?

I'm really engaged in my community, work on my HOA board as Vice President, I used to collect toys (just don't have the time and money anymore) like M.A.S.K., Super Powers, Batman, etc, oh, and I have this weird attraction to business books and articles... I read a lot about business management, leadership, etc.

Black Belt Gaming wrote:
d10-4 Is there a game you thought for sure you would hate, but then you actually loved it once you had the chance to play ?

I've unfortunately had this happen more the other way, of thinking I'd love a game and then hate it, but in terms of your question, I would have to say the Pokemon TCG. When I first saw it I was a Magic snob, thinking nothing could be nearly as fun. Then my daughter grew up and got into it and we played it and I was pleasantly surprised that it was actually quite fun for what it was. Neither of my boys play it as they like Kaijudo (as do I) but my daughter and I really enjoyed it while she was into it.

Black Belt Gaming wrote:
d10-5 How is life different for you in Texas than New York ?

Well, it's warmer thankfully I miss the snow, I loved skiing and snowboarding when I was growing up, but being able to be in shorts and drinking a beverage on your deck after opening Christmas presents is, well, kinda nice. I miss the city (I grew up very close to it and went there a lot!) but we get back from time to time. I love it in Texas though, Austin is a city unto it's own and it's awesome. Great gaming stores and community here too!

Black Belt Gaming wrote:
d10-6 Could you tell us how you came up with the name Tox ?

This is going to sound lame, but it's really just Scott backwards phonetically. I came up with it as my character names in a lot of PC games, and it just stuck. Friends from MMOs and MOBAs know me as it, and most of my characters are either Toxziq (if they are good aligned) or Antitoxyn (if they are evil aligned).

Great questions, can't wait for more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott "Tox" Morris
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Megalodon360 wrote:
Love this nomination, Definitly well deserved.

My question for you is if you and your wife could only play 1 game together, what game would that be? As a fellow married gamer I am always looking for that perfect game I can play with my wife, Ours is Penny arcade deckbuilding game, she kills me in it but always has fun time.

What game is your family's favorite game to all sit down and play? We do family game night every Friday night and so far our favorite game is Smash Up.

Congradulations TOX!!!!! I have been following you for awhile now and I have to say that it's wonderful to see you nominated here.

Thanks Pete!

Penny Arcade is fun, we've enjoyed touching weiners a lot in that game... er... yeah...

I think for us, if we could only bring one game with us someplace, it'd be Ascension. We both enjoy it and are very competitive with it... well, we're very competitive with everything.

Lately, we've enjoyed 2P Archipelago as well a lot, but Ascension is really our go-to game.

PS - we played our first game of Pathfinder together last night and I think we got her hooked, so who knows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Scott. Well deserved!

My question for you is:

You grew up in New York, but now live in Texas.

Cowboys or Giants?

Enjoy your week!

P.S. Notice I didn't need to ask about the Jets. LOL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott "Tox" Morris
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greyelephant wrote:

My question for you is:

Cowboys or Giants?

Enjoy your week!

Neither, or none I guess if you include the Jets. It confused me growing up why everyone rooted for the Giants and Jets when they played in New Jersey technically, so I shunned the NY roots and went with the Buffalo Bills. I'm still a die-hard (or dumb-hard, whichever you like) fan of them too.

I'm even the co-president of our local Bills Backers club here in Austin too. We're about 180+ members strong. Good peeps, even if the team stinks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations buddy!

My standard questions...

1. If you could play one game, with anyone you wanted, living or dead, what game would it be, and who?

2. Same question, but fictional people (but a real game).

Enjoy your week my friend! Thank you for turning me onto Hoplo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lees
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many congratualtions, well deserved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott "Tox" Morris
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:
Congratulations buddy!

My standard questions...

1. If you could play one game, with anyone you wanted, living or dead, what game would it be, and who?

2. Same question, but fictional people (but a real game).

Enjoy your week my friend! Thank you for turning me onto Hoplo!

Thanks Lance!

1.) I'd play one more game of checkers with my grandfather. I miss him a lot. If you were asking about someone famous though, I'd like to play a game of 7 Wonders (or something similar) with Wil Wheaton. I've had the chance to meet him twice and he seems like a really down to earth dude I could play a good game with and enjoy a few beers while doing so.

2.) I'd love to play a game of Chess with Batman/Bruce Wayne.

PS - glad you like Hoplomachus, it's a blast of a game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Crits Happen... wasn't that the old World Of Warcraft minis site?
I remember that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tenpence nonthericher
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
congrats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Well deserved!

Congratulations and thank you for your efforts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Carlson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott!! Congrats buddy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott "Tox" Morris
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Crits Happen... wasn't that the old World Of Warcraft minis site?
I remember that one.

Yes it was, same guy, but we're focused around table top games in general now, since unfortunately the WOW Minis game passed on. (hangs head)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Tox! Well deserved! You combine playfulness with incredibly thoughtful and articulate game reviewing skills -- a wonderful combo, that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grats man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!! Well deserved, grats Scott. Its more fun when I "know" the GotW.

I am 98% euro games and prefer 90min or less, so...

Besides Heroquest, what minis game would I like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toxziq wrote:
greyelephant wrote:

My question for you is:

Cowboys or Giants?

Enjoy your week!

Neither, or none I guess if you include the Jets. It confused me growing up why everyone rooted for the Giants and Jets when they played in New Jersey technically, so I shunned the NY roots and went with the Buffalo Bills. I'm still a die-hard (or dumb-hard, whichever you like) fan of them too.

I'm even the co-president of our local Bills Backers club here in Austin too. We're about 180+ members strong. Good peeps, even if the team stinks.

Dude, I totally forgot Buffalo had a team. Tee Hee!

Go Colts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

- Have you ever or do you play rpg's? why not or which ones?
- Have you ever visited the RPG side of the site? Do you contribute?
- Have you ever visited the VGG side of the site? Do you contribute?
- Will you congratulate you're RPGG and VGG counterparts?

Have fun this week and may you play many games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Incao
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Buy Stronghold Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Tox. Well deserved.
Enjoy your week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wißner
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Scott, this is well deserved!
Your videos are great, especially the ones on Descent 2.0 and Mage Wars.
Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Tox, well deserved.
Your videos have always been very insightful and a ton of fun to watch.
Keep rolling those crits brother!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott "Tox" Morris
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greyelephant wrote:
Toxziq wrote:
greyelephant wrote:

My question for you is:

Cowboys or Giants?

Enjoy your week!

Dude, I totally forgot Buffalo had a team. Tee Hee!

Go Colts!

That's funny, us Bills fans have too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |