BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Suggestions

Subject: How about a Gaming Events Calendar? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking with all of the clubs and conventions why not have a calendar feature. People could enter gaming events (even recurring ones) into it--including the date, time, and address--and the rest of us could set up parameters to have our calendars include all events within 50 miles (or whatever value) or events by name ("Origins"). Then our home page could include a calendar that shows us game events for this month and the next... When we click on an event it could blow up the details and provide us with a link to MapQuest.

Sound good? People are already entering game days as posts, but the problem is that they quickly roll off the screen never to be seen. In a way, this might prove a good enhancement to a gamer's database. Any registered user could easily discover games in the surrounding areas, because these days would be highlighted on his personal gaming event caldendar. It would be a lot less likely that events would be missed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great idea. There are a number of geeklists and individual posts, but a calendar function would be great. It could even be a left column function (which is currently some unused space for me without the ads) with some careful planning.
Would be great to be able to sort the list by location as well as date (I sometimes travel and would love to be able to find gaming when I am on the road). I'd also like to be able to sort by venue (I am much more likely to attend a hotel convention at a Hilton brand property than other chains as I have points there).
But probably the biggest value add to such a feature here would be some kind of system to rate the events from a board gaming perspective. There are some convention listing sites around but with the exception of DragonCon, Origins, GenCon, & WBC I am never sure if other smaller conventions have enough good boardgaming to make them worth the cost (either travel or even just admission cost). So, maybe something like
1 = Not much board gaming and may not have much else either
2 = Not much board gaming but may have interesting non-gaming activities
3 = Some board gaming and may or may not have other non-gaming activities/events
4 = At least one good board game event in every single session
5 = Multiple good board game events to choose from in each session
6 = Outstanding board gaming - may include introduction/premiere of new titles from one or two publishers
7 = Outstanding board gaming - may include introduction/premiere of new titles from many publishers

The database should probably also contain fields for cost (single day/entire weekend or entire event).

So, some of the fields in each row would be
Name of event
Location (with a link to mapping function)
Venue (name of hotel)
Date
Cost
BGG cumulative rating
Special comments (world premiere, tie-ins, prizes, special local areas of interest, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I third that suggestion.
Sounds really goood to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great idea. And a link from a calendar entry to a forum with related posts would be nice too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an excellent idea. Why hasn't it been done here before?

Clark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ward Batty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
I maintain a convention calendar over at boardgamenews.com, but that doesn't preclude someone from also doing one here.

http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/C47/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wardo wrote:
I maintain a convention calendar over at boardgamenews.com, but that doesn't preclude someone from also doing one here.

Yes, I am aware that certain helpful people as yourself have maintained a cons calendars. I was thinking more of a complete calendar that would include:

~ cons
~ game clubs
~ mini game events

BGG has been a site of convenience and, practically, a hub for all things boardgames related. I just thought it might be interesting to have a working calendar. Additionally, it would help my club to grow.

Thanks for your efforts in the gaming hobby just the same. I appreciate it.

Mario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thankful for your listing Ward and do not want to minimize its usefulness. However, I believe that the value add of having a more robust calendar on BGG comes from
1. The aggragate rating feature that I proposed earlier
2. And the ability to both filter and sort that I proposed earlier.

So, there would be 3 displays:
1. The left-hand column display would have one line for each event with
a. mm/dd
b. "First 8 characters of event name..." [this would also be a link to the details of the event]
c. n.nn (BGG rating)

2. A way to customize this left-hand column display that would allow
setting both filtering and sort order as well as specifiying the number of entries to list. Something like filter pull-downs for
Filter 01 [ , location within x miles, cost , location within x miles, cost , location within x miles, cost <]

And sort pull downs something like
1st Sort [pull down]
2nd sub-sort [pull down] this would sort within the primary sort above
3rd sub-sort [pull down] this would sort within the secondary sort above

3. The event details page. This is where any BGG user can enter a new event and where each BGG user can assign a rating to the event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ward Batty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
I also maintain a club listing there, but by all means, have at it. I'm sure mine is about 1,700 features short of what you can come up with ;-).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not notice the club listing before. Thanks for sharing. And while I would have no problem defining requirements and even talking through some of the design, I am neither authroized nor capable of doing the coding to get the events capability that I have outlined onto BGG. So, thank you again for your site. It may not do nearly all that I want but it is a nice place to add to my list of covention listing sites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Moulton Jr.
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea. Hopefully a BGG Admin will see this post and let us know if it is even feasible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, it does not look like any of the admins acted on this. I still think that it would be a GREAT idea. And both extremely useful and popular.

Colors wrote:
I like this idea. Hopefully a BGG Admin will see this post and let us know if it is even feasible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.