Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/walmart-strains-keep-aisles-st...

Quote:
Before the recession, at the start of 2007, Walmart had an average of 338 employees per store at its United States stores and Sam’s Club locations. Now, it has 281 per store, having cut the number of United States employees while adding hundreds of stores.

In its larger supercenter stores, Walmart can’t keep the shelves stocked, and that is driving customers away,” said Terrie Ellerbee, associate editor at the grocery industry publication The Shelby Report, in an e-mail.

She traced the problem to 2010, after Walmart reduced the range of merchandise it carried in an attempt to make stores less cluttered. Customers did not like the change, and Walmart added merchandise back, but with declining sales then, it did not add back employees, she said. “Without enough labor hours to get those items back, not to mention to do routine stocking, shelves were left bare,” Ms. Ellerbee said.

The important thing is to keep worker hours low... even if it costs you customers.

Sounds like someone's bonus is based on labor costs.

http://americanlivewire.com/walmart-plans-to-cut-employees-h...

Quote:
Walmart has announced that it will reduce the number of hours it will allow certain employees to work, in order to make them ineligible for benefits under the new Obamacare, which will take effect in January. This reduction of hours will not only reduce the weekly income for those employees, but also will reduce their eligibility for company-offered services such as health insurance. More and more Walmart employees will need to apply for government assistance, such as food stamps, section 8 housing, and medicaid. All of this so that Walmart can supposedly keep the cost of its consumable goods low for its customers.

Or perhaps they were trying to make a political point even tho it costs them profits. Reminds me of Papa Johns and Olive Garden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those workers will of course either go elsewhere or be unemployable elsewhere, result shit staff and shit customer service. Lets hope (fat chance) that when they go bust it will be those who made stupid choices that pay the price and not the poor sods who were the victims of mismanagement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know our local Walmart has certainly suffered from the above described changes. Less selection, empty shelves, and deteriorating "service", if you could call it that. This is especially true for the grocery section. I used to buy our groceries at Walmart because they were less expensive, but I've switched back to our local Giant Eagle. I'm willing to pay the higher prices in order to get better selection and higher quality products. It does seem that the Walmart empire is possibly starting to crumble as their management, which I always considered so sharp in the past, appears to be making more and more mistakes. I'm sure there's a great book to be written on the matter some day..."The Rise and Fall of Walmart"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/walmart-strains-keep-aisles-st...

Quote:
Before the recession, at the start of 2007, Walmart had an average of 338 employees per store at its United States stores and Sam’s Club locations. Now, it has 281 per store, having cut the number of United States employees while adding hundreds of stores.

In its larger supercenter stores, Walmart can’t keep the shelves stocked, and that is driving customers away,” said Terrie Ellerbee, associate editor at the grocery industry publication The Shelby Report, in an e-mail.

She traced the problem to 2010, after Walmart reduced the range of merchandise it carried in an attempt to make stores less cluttered. Customers did not like the change, and Walmart added merchandise back, but with declining sales then, it did not add back employees, she said. “Without enough labor hours to get those items back, not to mention to do routine stocking, shelves were left bare,” Ms. Ellerbee said.

The important thing is to keep worker hours low... even if it costs you customers.

Sounds like someone's bonus is based on labor costs.

http://americanlivewire.com/walmart-plans-to-cut-employees-h...

Quote:
Walmart has announced that it will reduce the number of hours it will allow certain employees to work, in order to make them ineligible for benefits under the new Obamacare, which will take effect in January. This reduction of hours will not only reduce the weekly income for those employees, but also will reduce their eligibility for company-offered services such as health insurance. More and more Walmart employees will need to apply for government assistance, such as food stamps, section 8 housing, and medicaid. All of this so that Walmart can supposedly keep the cost of its consumable goods low for its customers.

Or perhaps they were trying to make a political point even tho it costs them profits. Reminds me of Papa Johns and Olive Garden.

WalMart is sitting on tens of thousands of job applications. Their business model is to purposely understaff their stores and compel their employees to work an extra couple of hours due to the understaffing. They could solve their own employment issues if they wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:

This is fucking brilliant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tscook wrote:
Capitalism is a joke.

As is 911

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.