New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I correct in thinking that the power text on Pillar15 - Bottelus Emptius (You may not take further cards into your hand) remains active until covered over? If so could you confirm what happens if during the Leadership phase of my next turn, before playing a new Character, I play Aqua32 - Chosen of Water (Now we both shuffle our hands into our draw decks, then we refresh our hands)...

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you get a dragon or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Am I correct in thinking that the power text on Pillar15 - Bottelus Emptius (You may not take further cards into your hand) remains active until covered over? If so could you confirm what happens if during the Leadership phase of my next turn, before playing a new Character, I play Aqua32 - Chosen of Water (Now we both shuffle our hands into our draw decks, then we refresh our hands)...

Nice combination, which I'm pretty sure does exactly what you think it does, and at a total cost of one moon. Full answer (with all the proper quotes - special rule 4 in particular) coming soon to an FAQ list near you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh. I was hoping there'd be some sort of explanation for this NOT working, but alas... Seems awful strong for a 2-card combination (though obviously it's only possible with constructed decks).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Floods are also a two card combo with similar effect. Of course, this one has a cheaper moon cost, but it's also less usable in decks that depend highly on card combos in general because of the forced redraw.

If you know your opponent has both cards in his deck you need to throw your strongest possible attack out in response in hopes that your opponent can't match with the new-drawn cards.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, maybe I'm misinterpreting the way this would play out.

You play Emptius and declare power. Assume your opponent has no clue what you're planning or can't do anything about it and follows with another character. You then throw the leadership, your opponent shuffles all cards back in but can't draw any, and you follow with a character, automatically winning the fight. How can your opponent respond with "the strongest possible attack" when he/she has no cards in hand to respond with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would also work with Wall of Fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ollenberger
Canada
Wetaskiwin
Alberta
flag msg tools
I think he was talking about IF you knew they had both cards, you better beat Emptius with as large a number as you can muster, so that your opponent might not be able to beat it after the redraw. If you have no idea what cards they have and this hits you, yeah, you just give up the dragon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyrenn wrote:
I think he was talking about IF you knew they had both cards, you better beat Emptius with as large a number as you can muster, so that your opponent might not be able to beat it after the redraw. If you have no idea what cards they have and this hits you, yeah, you just give up the dragon.

That is precisely what I mean. If you are playing a 5-crystal campaign you'll probably know if such a combo is available to yoru opponent after the first game, even if you didn't see it, as long as you're looking out for the possibility - if it is, you know to respond accordingly when Emptius is played.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
If you are playing a 5-crystal campaign you'll probably know if such a combo is available to yoru opponent after the first game, even if you didn't see it, as long as you're looking out for the possibility - if it is, you know to respond accordingly when Emptius is played.

And now the combination is "out there" you can assume it's always a threat whenever you see Bottelus Emptius in a constructed deck game (especially if it's not the Pillar). However it makes less difference for Wall of Fire. That always said "better win this fight quickly or retreat, as it's not getting any better" and that's just strengthened a bit. With standard decks there are two meaningful plays against Bottelus Emptius - hit hard now, or play softly, retaining a strong counterattack, after which you can refresh. But if Chosen of Water might follow, only the first of these plans is any good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
Full answer (with all the proper quotes - special rule 4 in particular) coming soon to an FAQ list near you.

Now there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.