Popular Tags: [View All]
Lindsey Dubb
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Just thought I’d see what ideas people might have for kinds of math trades. Here are a few I’ve been playing with...
- City-centered, in which you’d have to pay shipping (as sender or recipient) if you can’t deliver in person at that city (for me, Seattle).
- Rare games, only — Only games with “Users Owning” below some specific number would be allowed
- Older games, only — Games would have to be from (say) 2002 or earlier.

The problem with the latter two is that they make for less diversity in the list. In that respect, you can’t beat the selection of games in an unrestricted math trade. On the other hand, they’d probably attract more people who are specifically interested in trading rarer or older games.

Anyhow — Are there any other unusual trade list ideas you’d like to suggest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmidt
United States
Maquoketa
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about a "Ding, Dent, Wear, & Tear" Math trade? I don't know what kind of interest there would be in this, but to my knowledge it has never been done. Any games would be allowed, but the game has some form of damage that does not affect the game. Maybe the box is a bit beat up from storage, or from lack of care when you were a bit younger. Maybe the cards, board, or pieces are a bit worn, but still in playable shape. I started thinking about this while the Inferior math trade was running.

Like I said I'm not sure what kind of interest there would be in this, but it was a thought.

-Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I would not want to moderate this one, but I think a trade of games/bundles worth ranges, say $25-$40,$40-$60 & $60+ could work well. There would be longer trade lists for each item, so there might be more movement than when all the $25 lots list the $50 lot and the two $50s list the one $75 & the $75 finds nothing and submits a blank list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
[When asked if he would give a speech, Jinx said,] "Me, I'm a doer, not a talker." And when they asked him what it was he did, he said, "Sleep, mostly." -Walter R. Brooks
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the wargame idea Mark Johnson toyed with, and the price range idea. I'm not sure how you could enforce the price range idea, though: how would you determine prices for out-of-print games?

I suppose you could have an out-of-print games math trade, come to think of it.

The best thing I can think of, though, is a math trade where only items from my Want List are allowed. Somehow I doubt it would have universal appeal ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
As long as people are out to spoil the trade by clogging it with games completely out of the price range, Math Trades are self-regulating since no one will want to trade with you if your trade offers are too far out of bounds. In the same way, if you have a game only "worth" $20 and I really want it, I may well choose it as a trade, even if the game I'm trading is "worth" $40--this is particularly true with out of print stuff. It all depends on your reasons for trading, but I'd rather have a $20 game that I play than a $40 that I never even look at.

In terms of ideas--how about a weighty game trade? One where the games will take a significant amount of postage to send--that way no one has to pay $20 to send a game out and receive a game that only cost $4 to send? It's an unusal trade anyway, not sure what the call would be for something like that though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marena Tiano
United States
Arlington
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the ding & dent idea. The OOP is good too, except I don't have any to trade. cry Another possibility is a card game/small box trade. Lots of times the little games don't end up on trade lists other than as sweeteners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
sos1 wrote:
The best thing I can think of, though, is a math trade where only items from my Want List are allowed. Somehow I doubt it would have universal appeal ...

On the other hand, you do have a pretty long want list...

I was sort of intrigued by the wargame idea, but it seems to me that almost everything else would limit the range of selections, which means failure for these lists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Seattle trade list is a great idea! It could be called a No Postage trade list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.