Hide
8 Posts

Space Cadets» Forums » Rules

Subject: Engineering - energy token placement? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Santana
msg tools

During 1st turn. engineering gets 12 enery tokens and places it however is decided during the 3:00 minute discussion in STEP 1.

during 2nd turn after.... engineering has flipped up the tiles and matched them......

Question: when does the engineer place the tokens on his display? During the discussion phase? or before the discussion phase?

I understand that during the discussion phase engineering can trade them 2 for 1 ratio. but it seems that actually placing the tokens takes 1 to 1.5 minutes to actually correctly place them on the engineering tracker (counting all the symbols on the tiles).

Most times the captain is also the engineering officer. If half of step 1 (3 minute discussion phase) the captain/engineer is busy figuring out the tiles and puting the tokens on the display... it eats up too much time.. then afterward engineering\captain has to figure out what gets traded to what for a 2to1 ratio.... all within the 3 minute discussion. is this the correct way to play this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
My group does it during. With a little bit of practice and if the stations give their used tokens back quickly, counting the energy doesn't take too long. I'm pretty sure I can consistently do it in less than one minute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike C
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Shields are offline.
mbmbmbmbmb
We do it before the discussion phase so that the engineer can participate in the discussion. Otherwise they're just too busy sliding energy tokens around at the first part of the talk that they can't tune-in until the big decisions have been made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Santana
msg tools
mikec wrote:
We do it before the discussion phase so that the engineer can participate in the discussion. Otherwise they're just too busy sliding energy tokens around at the first part of the talk that they can't tune-in until the big decisions have been made.

thats what im talking about...

is this official. or just unofficially the best way to do it.

I have also noted that sometimes.. the tiles get bumped before it even gets to the discussion phase, im kinda leaning towards doing it in the resolution phase 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
My group does it during the discussion phase. I find that looking for all matches for one color at a time makes it faster than going through the display one row or column at a time.

We also don't bother physically distributing and collecting the energy tokens; we just leave it on the display and the engineer tells people how much energy they have as they prep their stations.

We usually use the end of the discussion phase to plan for next round. This allows time for the engineer to contribute to the strategy conversation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike C
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Shields are offline.
mbmbmbmbmb
spook13 wrote:

I have also noted that sometimes.. the tiles get bumped before it even gets to the discussion phase, im kinda leaning towards doing it in the resolution phase 3

I haven't been able to find anything in the rules. I think you have to decide for your group whether you want more time pressure or you want more participation from engineering in the discussion phase. I suppose a compromise would be to have the engineer set up before discussion but then voluntarily take a minute off of the time period.

It's also not in the rules that if your sensor operator drops a bag of Skittles on the tractor beam console and scrambles things, you have to just keep playing. We call it the "Tribbles On The Bridge Incident". (It's the reason modern starships have cup holders.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mara Dyne
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
As captain, I like to have the tokens physically handed out to each station, and they return them to Engineering after they are used. If someone else is the Engineering Officer, they generally will place the tokens returned to them on completed symbols in their tile layout whenever they can during the turn. If I'm doubling in that role, I try to do the same during the timed steps when I'm doing nothing else, such as the Fire Weapons phase.

I normally start the timer for the discussion phase once the energy tokens are on the tile layout, and I have the engineer place them onto the display during the timed phase. This provides a little more time pressure, which I like, and it forces me, as captain, to be able to formulate a strategy with incomplete information, or at least focus on something else while the final energy count is being tallied.

Even two minutes due to a Comm Breakdown is a lot of time for discussion, so it's usually not a problem, and I like to move the game along as quickly as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spook13 wrote:
mikec wrote:

Rules page 4, under "Step 1: Discussion and Energy Distribution". Happens during Step 1.
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.