Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Choosing exploration tile rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Forest Pearson
Canada
Whitehorse
Yukon
flag msg tools
We had a recent dispute on this:

When exploring, especially as "Descendants of Draco", must you first declare what tile space you are going to explore? This issue was that DoD get to look at two tiles, then choose one. The players in the game felt it could be a Stack I and III tile, then choose the one they like best and go there. I believe you are supposed to choose an area to explore, draw two tiles for that area, then choose. They claim "no" - draw a tile, place it where you like that is legit.

comment?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You always have to state the specific location (not the ring) you are exploring before you draw the tile(s).
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ver first sentence in the rules for the explore action begins with "Choose one of the unexplored spaces..."

So you are correct. The player exploring must indeed choose where to explore before drawing tiles.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LucCros
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not have the rule book with me, but I thought you were supposed to declare the hex from which you were exploring. For most races who can only explore one tile, they would obviously have to either choose a I, II or III (if they have a half-wormhole in those directions). If, for example, that hex had unexplored spaces through half-wormholes in both the II- and III-rings, then I thought Draco could take one of each, choose to place one, discard the other.

Is this correct?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LucCros
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dulkal wrote:
The ver first sentence in the rules for the explore action begins with "Choose one of the unexplored spaces..."


I think this line of the rule book is for the basic understanding of the rules (as in Terran-only gameplay), and doesn't adhere to or restrict the abilities of the other races.

I could be wrong though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pewphead pewphead
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rule book, explore section:

Choose one of the unexplored spaces next to a hex where you have a ship or an influence disc and turn a hex tile from the corresponding stack (I, II or III) in it.

From the rule you can see you need to pick the hex you are exploring to, not just the hex you are exploring from. Draco's ability kicks in once you choose the location so you would flip two tiles with the same number and choose from them. If Draco was meant to be able to flip two different numbered tiles then the ability would be choose two hexes to explore, but the abilty is to turn two hexes and choose one.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anextiomarus wrote:
I do not have the rule book with me, but I thought you were supposed to declare the hex from which you were exploring. For most races who can only explore one tile, they would obviously have to either choose a I, II or III (if they have a half-wormhole in those directions). If, for example, that hex had unexplored spaces through half-wormholes in both the II- and III-rings, then I thought Draco could take one of each, choose to place one, discard the other.

Is this correct?

No. On the contrary, you have to declre which hex you are exploring TO, but not necessarily what hex you are exploring FROM.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anextiomarus wrote:
Dulkal wrote:
The ver first sentence in the rules for the explore action begins with "Choose one of the unexplored spaces..."


I think this line of the rule book is for the basic understanding of the rules (as in Terran-only gameplay), and doesn't adhere to or restrict the abilities of the other races.

I could be wrong though.


The rules are indeed written from the Terran perspective, and the rules for other races are different in some ways. There is nothing in the Draco description, however, that changes the way exploration is declared, so it falls back to the default.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LucCros
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I get what you are saying now.

But the next line of the rules says this:

"The hex must be placed so that at least one of the Wormholes on the hex connects with a Wormhole on one of the hexes where you have an Influence Disc or unpinned Ship."

So what if I choose to explore a III. Let's say the hex that I am exploring from has three wormholes heading to the III-ring. Can I place the tile on which ever wormhole I choose or do I place it in the hex I declared as you say?

(Or by declaring which hex I am going to, do you mean I just have to declare which hex-ring I am going to?)

Moreover, if I am planning to place a hex so I can connect to an opponent, but the wormhole alignment of the hex I drew does not line up properly, I can so choose to place this hex somewhere else (even onto a completely difference hex) as long as I can make the proper worm hole connection with a hex of my influence or unpinned ship?


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LucCros
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
^If this is allowed that seems very anti-thematic to me, having your race planning to press forward in one direction to meet the enemy, only realizing they won't be able to...so we'll just say this sector was way over here instead...
(but then again, is guess discarding can be considered anti-thematic as well soblue)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anextiomarus wrote:
So what if I choose to explore a III. Let's say the hex that I am exploring from has three wormholes heading to the III-ring. Can I place the tile on which ever wormhole I choose or do I place it in the hex I declared as you say?


I am not sure I understand what you are saying.

Exploration goes like this:

- First, you must declare where you are going to place the tile that you are drawing. It is not enough to say "I will explore a III", you must say "I will place the tile in that spot".

- Then, you draw a tile matching the ring of the spot you chose (draw two if you play Draco)

- Then, you may choose to either:
1) Place the hex so that it connects to one of your hexes.
--- Notice that you did not have to decide ahead of time which of your hexes you were going to connect to. You only have to decide that now.
2) Discard the hex.


So, if you were planning to place a hex so you could connect to an opponent, but the wormhole alignment of the hex you drew does not line up properly, that is just unfortunate. You will either have to accept that there is no connection, or discard it and try again later.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LucCros
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so I choose and declare the spot I will place the tile.

AND

ONLY if there is the possibility of connecting to more than one of my hexes from that spot, I can choose whichever hex's wormhole to connect my new hex to.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anextiomarus wrote:
Ok so I choose and declare the spot I will place the tile.

AND

ONLY if there is the possibility of connecting to more than one of my hexes from that spot, I can choose whichever hex's wormhole to connect my new hex to.



Yep!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.