Subject: It can be strangely difficult to read a rule book rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
For a game you are well familiar with.

I will sometimes find myself reading what I think the book is telling me rather than what it actually says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Det var bara en hake...
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent two hours trying to work out if I could move the whaleboat in hex 0804 to hex 0905 in choppy seas and with a drunken steersman before I realized I was holding a copy of Moby-Dick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I write/edit for a living, which includes documenting procedures/rules, but I hate reading game rulebooks. I think the problem is that my editing cap is always on, and I'm looking at the rulebook's effectiveness as a rules transmitter and not as a way to play the game.

For that reason I prefer learning from someone who has played the game, so much so that games have sat on my shelf unopened because I had no one to teach me.

modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy reading rulebooks, oddly enough. I always have one or two I'm actively reading. Sometimes I don't even own the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
For a game you are well familiar with.

I will sometimes find myself reading what I think the book is telling me rather than what it actually says.

I do this more than I care to admit! blush

My worst offense regarding this is when I am reading along and I "anticipate" what I am reading before finishing and then make a mess of the real interpretation of the rules. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the most common problems we run into when editing rule books. Designers know exactly what everything means and how everything works in their own games because they designed them. That can be a HUGELY disadvantageous blind spot when writing rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Sbirakos
Australia
Canberra, ACT
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes sir!

I love to read on a wide range of subjects but at home with a rule book, within a half hour of reading, I start to fall asleep - only happens with rule books. The only cure is to head off to a coffee shop, drink coffee, headphones on, listen to music and read. Viola! The sleep effect cured, and rule book read!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Many people reading rule books read with less than full attention and with expectations from other games. If you are writing rules that are different than the norm you must be prepared to repeat yourself, reword it different ways, and use examples to try to break through to your audience. Learned this lesson the hard way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
madkarateman wrote:
Yes sir!

I love to read on a wide range of subjects but at home with a rule book, within a half hour of reading, I start to fall asleep - only happens with rule books. The only cure is to head off to a coffee shop, drink coffee, headphones on, listen to music and read. Viola! The sleep effect cured, and rule book read!

Same for me.

I've read that each type of book is a different tool, and our brains are always altered by the nature of the tool we are using. When I read an instruction manual or a particularly well-written history book, I am hyper focused.

But rulebooks always seem like a necessary hurdle, some more difficult than others (Yes, I'm looking at you, Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game) and my brain just treats the text differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmiller1093 wrote:
Many people reading rule books read with less than full attention and with expectations from other games. If you are writing rules that are different than the norm you must be prepared to repeat yourself, reword it different ways, and use examples to try to break through to your audience. Learned this lesson the hard way.

It's impossible to write a rulebook every last reader will comprehend. Someone will find a way to be confused. It's human nature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
I witnessed odd things from my prior office life upon reading documents that had undergone multiple re-writes. I think about that when I find imprecisely written rules, that perhaps the authors knew what it was supposed to say and thereby had convinced themselves that it did say it. A fresh set of eyes would immediately tell them otherwise.

and reading further down the responses I find confirmation.

JesterPoet wrote:
This is one of the most common problems we run into when editing rule books. Designers know exactly what everything means and how everything works in their own games because they designed them. That can be a HUGELY disadvantageous blind spot when writing rules.

... a fresh set of eyes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Larson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind reading well-written rules. I found Agricola quite hard to learn from the rulebook. Caylus was a mess, too.

Macao was good, though I still don't agree with the consensus on the opening setup of the office cards. The picture shows them with the bottom one hidden and the top one revealed, and the text doesn't clarify it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
I enjoy reading rulebooks, oddly enough. I always have one or two I'm actively reading. Sometimes I don't even own the game.

In the days before most rulebooks were available on BGG or a publisher's website, I sometimes bought games so I could read the rulebook.

I frequently re-read the rules before I play a complex game I have not played for a while. In past years I re-read the War of the Ring (First Edition) rules each year before WBC; this year I am reading the War of the Ring (Second Edition) rules.

Only rarely do I find a rule I have misplayed, but sometimes I gain a better understanding of an option I have previously avoided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
I frequently re-read the rules before I play

I always try to do this. Most games have corner case rules that are easily forgotten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
In the days before most rulebooks were available on BGG or a publisher's website, I sometimes bought games so I could read the rulebook.
Now that is mind-boggling for me. I use rule-reading ahead of time as one of my most important tools for selecting a game to buy.

and several times years ago I sent thank-you notes (after purchase) to Rio Grande Games for making that possible when other publishers didn't

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
JesterPoet wrote:

I see the same problem in the world of software. I started learning how to program during the Gerald Ford administration, and actually started working in the field during the first Reagan administration. A 'law of programming' that I formulated after a few years is "The worst person in the world to test software is the programmer who created it."

Having dabbled in game design a bit, and struggled to write comprehensible rules, I see how the same problem crops up in both fields. The designer knows what his creation is supposed to do, and ends up testing/writing for a person who is very familiar with how the thing *should* work (himself), and forgets that someone coming in fresh has no idea what's supposed to happen, and they end up frustrated with the result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
JesterPoet wrote:

I see the same problem in the world of software. I started learning how to program during the Gerald Ford administration, and actually started working in the field during the first Reagan administration. A 'law of programming' that I formulated after a few years is "The worst person in the world to test software is the programmer who created it."

Having dabbled in game design a bit, and struggled to write comprehensible rules, I see how the same problem crops up in both fields. The designer knows what his creation is supposed to do, and ends up testing/writing for a person who is very familiar with how the thing *should* work (himself), and forgets that someone coming in fresh has no idea what's supposed to happen, and they end up frustrated with the result.

No one is persona non grata more in some companies than a writer tasked with writing rules and who finds problems with a source in the process of writing those rules.

Who can break a piece of software faster than the person showing others how to use it? At least, that's been my experience.

Nothing like the programmers being told their code doesn't work right, and the guy writing the manual discovered the problem. You start watching your back to make sure no one sticks a sharp object in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.