Subject: Question of 2-player rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
2-player Caylus changes a few of the main rules in minor ways. One of those ways is that the Stables are not used and players simply alternate going first from one turn to the next. My question is why? Can someone explain to a newbie like me why keeping the basic rules would not work properly for 2 players? To me it seems like they removed a little bit of the strategic possibities for no reason. Of course being a newbie, I am likely missing something glaringly obvious.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's because it's a double penalty for the second place player (or it's too sweet for the first place player), in that he/she has less options (due to going second) AND has to waste a worker to change that situation. Actually, I don't know exactly why the stables aren't used, but I can tell you to stay far away from the Inn. You'll be shorthanded for the entire game, unless your opponent is foolhardy enough to let you out. In a larger game, the Inn is great because someone short on cash will pass early, making it more expensive for everyone NOT in the inn. In the 2p game, however, there's an abundance of cash, and there's no incentive for the other player to drop out, especially as they build more buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
I'll tag another question on if I may.

The rules refer to "craft buildings" without defining what this means. I am taking it to mean all wooden (brown) and stone (grey) buildings? Correct?

Hence the game confusingly refers to the following collective terms:

a) Special buildings = those before the bridge that cannot be built on (Jousting ring for example).
b) Neutral buildings = the 6 pink tiles right after the bridge that are randomly placed at the start. Can be built on by anyone, with Residences only, and are removed from the game when this happens.
c) Independent buildings = the 3 other pre-placed buildings further down the road (including the gold mine). Cannot be built on.
d) Craft buildings = ?? as I defined above? Can be built on by their owner, with Residences only, and return to the stock when this happens.

Have I got them right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
Actually, I don't know exactly why the stables aren't used, but I can tell you to stay far away from the Inn. You'll be shorthanded for the entire game, unless your opponent is foolhardy enough to let you out.

In aach round after the one you put the worker in, when the inn is processed, you can opt to take it out, even if nobody is there to throw you out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PaulW
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Actually, I don't know exactly why the stables aren't used, but I can tell you to stay far away from the Inn. You'll be shorthanded for the entire game, unless your opponent is foolhardy enough to let you out.

The rules for the inn state that the player with the inn has the option to pull out of the inn if not driven out. So the player is not stuck.

'If a player put a worker on the inn in a previous turn and if the worker has not been driven out, they can either get the pawn back or leave it where it is for the next turn.'

Oops, Werner beat me to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
Gary,
You are correct.

Everyone else,
Doh! I thought I had the rules down. I lost one 2p game to the stupid Inn while my wife smirked her way to victory. Never again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.