Subject: First Time Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Rodger
Scotland
Inverness
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I are about to embark on our first game of republic of rome in the coming weeks and as I've read it can be an extremely challenging game to get going - especially with new players. We do have a player who has played the original at some point but I don't know whether he'll remember much from it.
Anyway I've watch the "how to play" video, I've tried to read the main ruleboook and downloaded a few of the better laid out rulebooks too and distributed these in advance to the players but I was wondering if there's any other prep work that we should do? We're likely to have the full player compliment and so we've set aside a full day just in case.

Is this the sort of game that might benefit from someone running the game rather than playing for the first time?

Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo Peroni
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff3333 wrote:
My friends and I are about to embark on our first game of republic of rome in the coming weeks and as I've read it can be an extremely challenging game to get going - especially with new players. We do have a player who has played the original at some point but I don't know whether he'll remember much from it.
Anyway I've watch the "how to play" video, I've tried to read the main ruleboook and downloaded a few of the better laid out rulebooks too and distributed these in advance to the players but I was wondering if there's any other prep work that we should do? We're likely to have the full player compliment and so we've set aside a full day just in case.

Is this the sort of game that might benefit from someone running the game rather than playing for the first time?

Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

Even though the game is very complex at start, mainly because of the horrible draft of the rulebook, you don't need some "Game Master" to play it. Just be prepared to do some in-game consultation now and then. And have fun with this wonderful game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Horne
United States
Whitehall
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mr. Axle can do all for you.
badge
Apologize again!
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice is to not let the rules bog you down too much. Nothing can sour new players like thumbing through the rules for hours. Do the best that you can from memory and use common sense, but keep the game moving. You can always send out a mass email after the game outlining what you did wrong (you will get several things wrong the first time, I guarantee it). If all goes well, your post game summary will whet their appetites for the next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game with a groups of 5 last year. Nobody had played the game before.

I read the Streamlined version of the rules, which puts EVERYTHING in order.

I didn't ask my group to read anything at all, they just turned up.

I began by explaining the general premise of the game, and how, together, we run Rome. I explained factions, senators, the cards, etc. And then we just jumped in. I explained everything else as it came up.

We just, step-by-step, went through the Streamlined rules and 'ticked the boxes' one by one. THe first turn was fairly slow, but everyone slowly grasped what was going on. The second turn was a little faster, and by the end of that second turn everyone knew what was happening and they had grasped the core rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest that you solo one full round. Just set up the game as if it's a multiplayer game, then run through the mechanics. When you come to some point where players would negotiate to award titles, just make some quick decisions and move on -- the point is to internalize how everything works together mechanically, not to figure out how negotiation will work.

If you do that, and with the amount of other prep you've already done, I don't think you need to run the game instead of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.