Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Hill
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,everyone.
I picked up the copy of the game off of the BGG marketplace and had it for a few days before it was brought to the table yesterday.
We had four players and I think I was the only one who REALLY enjoyed it.
I think the thing that turned one person off was the fact that he thought it was way to hard.
To be honest,that just makes me want to play the game more.I consider it a challenge to try to win.I love my co-op extremely hard!!
This game is VERY,VERY hard!!
The first game we played we only made it through the deck twice then we lost because two spell books were captured.It didnt feel like we did much before the game was over.
The second game went better but we still lost VERY badly.We did manage to recruit an ally or two in the second game and even got one spell book to reach the end of its track so the second game was better than the first as far as getting closer to winning.
I really think this game would have sold more if it was not so expensive.
Dont get me wrong,the components are absolutely gorgeous and I think they are awesome but the price I think is going to keep people away from it.Just my opinion.
I really like the deck building aspect of the game because each person does not have there own deck but the group builds one deck that everyone shares.Very neat to me!!
I cannot wait to get this game to the table more because I REALLY enjoyed it.Love the theme.Love the mechanics.Love the components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep trying, you can win, but it *is* tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Leach
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game sold out on pre-order. There was only ever a run of 1000. The Lamont Bros do this all for fun, its not serious - ever. The game is well priced for the components it contains, if a bit slight. I'll probably sell my copy (unlike Antics! which I like a lot). Limited replayability, but hopefully its uniqueness will make it one a fair few people will want to own and put on the table a few times at least, because of its limited availability and stunning stunningness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to ask, now...
Haven't yet had the chance to really play this one, only done 2 quick run-throughs (four "fake" players). Afterwards I stumbled upon several threads like this one, stating that the game is tough.

My question now is - how much of the game is tough decisions, and how much is plain chance?
After the two run-throughs it somehow felt like you would lose when the cards come up the wrong way. And I know that chance is an important thing in a cooperative game.
However, if this game is so tough - doesn't it just say that you need enough luck in order for the cards to come up in your favor?
Of course, that means making no mistake in the process...

Would really like to know your opinions on this one.
How much do good decisions impact the factor of chance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
I have to ask, now...
Haven't yet had the chance to really play this one, only done 2 quick run-throughs (four "fake" players). Afterwards I stumbled upon several threads like this one, stating that the game is tough.

My question now is - how much of the game is tough decisions, and how much is plain chance?
After the two run-throughs it somehow felt like you would lose when the cards come up the wrong way. And I know that chance is an important thing in a cooperative game.
However, if this game is so tough - doesn't it just say that you need enough luck in order for the cards to come up in your favor?
Of course, that means making no mistake in the process...

Would really like to know your opinions on this one.
How much do good decisions impact the factor of chance?

We've only been able to play twice so far, but I think chance plays a big role. After all, you can even lose before you start playing--literally--if the initial display draw goes poorly. However, there do seem to be decisions you can make that mitigate the luck of the draw. I'm not sure how much mitigation is possible, or if the game will ultimately overcome the feeling of getting crushed by the luck of the draw, but we are intrigued after the first two games.

The deck building and ally mechanic is particularly interesting. In our first game, we avoided some of the allies that add lots of cards to the deck, such as the Pixies (which add 5), falling back on the ingrained impulse not to dilute our deck (a common concern for deck builders). After getting roundly trounced, we realized, "Hey, the Pixies may not offer much brute strength against the witch (most of the time), but adding five cards to the deck might be kinda huge." Every time you cycle the deck, you have to face the witch, and the game clock advances a bit. So, getting the deck bigger quickly in the early game can help a lot.

That's just one example, but it's those quirky new relationships between mechanics that make the game intriguing for us, in the short term. While the card draw has a big impact on the game difficulty, there are plenty of other things to think about and decipher. How to handle the wicked cards, which allies to choose, which spaces to guard... it's a lot to suss out. And, much like Pandemic, it's possible to track the deck and anticipate the problem areas... at least, once you've made it through the first deck cycle (which shouldn't take long at all).

I'd be very curious to hear the impressions of others once it gets played more by a bigger audience. This one could go either way: deep enough to be satisfying for the long haul, or only appealing for a short time before mapping out the decision-space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Hartmann
Germany
Osnabrück
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we played it yesterday teh first and second time.

Our first thought was, that it's quite hard. We lost after we played the deck one time and not all players were able to take their turn.

The second one we had mor luck at the beginning (so we could get two allies and win against the witch), but bad luck at the end of the deck (two witchcards and the card of the troll and not enough to fill the deck.) some figures moved three times (on playing the card, before the fight against the witch and because of no player in it's town.

We still have no idea how to play. It's good to play many cards in a players turn? Or should you try to get time for playing the deck?

Getting allies (especially many of one group) seems to be good. But how much witch cards could you give her for the fight when you try to win against her?

It's difficult and we stay on it. Getting a strategy for winning is definitley part of the replayability.

Ciao Krisse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dieter Görgner
Germany
Braunschweig
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group played it yesterday for the second time, with 4 players like on our first try. We won both games.
The first time things were really tight, so we had a lot of tension throughout the game. Yesterday we had a very comfortable win, even though during the game 3 of the books were in danger with the hat/troll following just one space behind.
My group really likes co-ops a lot and compared to the ones we already played - especially Battlestar Galactica, Witch of Salem and GHOST STORIES, which we consider quite hard - we would think of Spellbound as a more EASY family game like co-op.
Yes, we did only play 2 games so far, and yes, on a very bad draw there would have been a chance that 2 books could have been captured by hats/troll yesterday, but:
We think that, if you really understand the interaction of the mechanics you can prepare through your decisions to overcome some unlucky draw of cards, so chance could be dealt with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the contribution.

I have played it a few times now. Two times solo, two times with two, and one time with four players. The latter was really interesting.

What I have come to realize is this:
a) Once you understand the mechanisms of the game, you see what you have to do when. It is sometimes better to lose (a fight) in order to win (in the end)
b) Fill your deck. No, seriously, fill your deck. Any additional card you put into the deck helps. Some more than others, but that is balanced by their cost...
c) The game is harder the less players you got. Two players is not easy. One player is hard. Four players is a cakewalk.

One could now argue that you would have as many actions in every game. However, that is not the case. Each additional player adds another movement action to the game (due to the wand). And that is really important in the game - the opportunity for movement...

I will keep this one, though.
It is a rather unusual game, as its theme and look clashes heavily with its gameplay (which is rather thinky). But it is a keeper, because I reckon it will see some table-time in the future (once I got to play all the games I own at least once)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.