Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sylvain Gauthier
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the base game last week and played 2 coop with 2 friends using basic rules.
It was so easy this way that I'm almost regretting that I put my money in it.
Didn't try the Brutal difficulty yet or to adjuste it with the optional rules, hopefully by doing so, the resistance will stand a chance.

Can somebody let me know if the Apocalypse expansion brings the difficulty up ?

Or any way to do that besides the optional rules.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Myers
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played this, but I own the Last Night on Earth collection, and far as i know Flying Frog produces balanced games.

When I find myself playing a game that's too hard or too easy it's almost always because I was doing something wrong or forgetting a rule.

Also, occasionally in games the random drawing of cards/dice rolls might skew the results and make it seem easier/harder than it actually is. I don't know the specifics of your session so not sure what made it seem that easy for you, but perhaps try playing it a couple more times and see if you get the same result before adding expansions or houseruling, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Sulik
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Difficulty can be easily modified by changing required number of terror points for win (8 per player by default).
We also found the cooperative game too easy on normal difficulty, so we play either on brutal, or on normal with 10 required terror points for each player (instead of 8).
We even managed to win on brutal with 10 TP per player. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Baker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I agree with the OP that base Co-op is a bit lacking. If you like the game and it is any consolation, the Apocalypse expansion does a 'fantastic' job boosting the difficulty.

Though I do recommend trying the base game competitively before making a final judgment. In my humblest of opinions, the game truly shines when you're screwing with your buddies.

"Release the Land Squid! It is Fast 'n Bulbous!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Gauthier
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the advices, I will definitely try your suggestions cause we like the game but we're loosing interest if it's too easy.

We might try the competitive version but we really enjoy coop games, so I bought the game for that mode.

Just to let you know what kind of gamers we are, we're having a blast at Police Precinct cause we get smack in the face 50% of the time.

Maybe we're a bit masochist....lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Sulik
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a Ghost Stories is your type of game then...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not too easy in my mind. I thought the same after as you did after my first 2 games, but have changed my mind after playing many more games. You can also try the brutal difficulty level. Brutal level usually beats me (and my wife) down.

This is now one of my favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is making my brain explode. I'm fairly new to the game, but in the three co-op games my wife and I have played, we hardly managed a fighting chance. Too easy? Say what? I think we've only made it onto the central board for one turn. We did come within two points of victory in our second game, but then the humans nuked us three turns in a row and there was no recovering. I don't see how this game could be easy without a serious run of good luck.

We do insist on choosing our races at random, so we don't have the benefit of choosing two that compliment one another. That may have something to do with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiannis Hadjikyriakou
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After four plays I would say it might be a bit easy for experienced gamers, but as another poster mentioned it is really easy to adjust difficulty until you find the level that works for you. Just keep adding one terror point (e.g. 17 instead of 16 for a 2 player game)after each win until you find the level that works for you. I don't think that would break the mechanics at all. For me, I think "brutal" variant plus about 2 terror points in a 2-player coop looks like a real challenge.

Also, to the poster who got nuke three times in a row, that is really bad luck ... sounds like it might have been a bad deck shuffle. The cards really stick together at the beginning, and all the nukes were consecutive cards in my new deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After being frustrated by the almost insurmountable difficulty in coop mode, we played again tonight having realized we were missing a few rules.

1) We had been rolling Human Tech dice equal to the number of the tech track rather than the stage. This meant that by turn 7 or 8 the humans had already discovered almost all of their tech because we were rolling 5, 6, 7 , 8 dice per round (needing only one six). Now that we've got the rule correct and are rolling a max of 3 (in normal mode) that makes things a LOT easier.

2) We hadn't realized that we could play non-action event cards during other players turns. Being able to help each other out helps a lot.

So having corrected those mistakes, we won fairly easily (and man was it satisfying). Anyone wanting to bump up the difficulty might want to try making those mistakes on purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Gauthier
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 8 times so far and every time we've invaded the earth so easily. snore
I finally figured out why we had such an easy time beating the game.

It's mainly because we always keep in hand the "cancel event/human tech" cards.
So every time the resistance comes out with an event that bugs us or a tech, it's being canceled.

I'm gonna take a look at the expansion Apocalypse to see if it raise up the difficulty.

Hope so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zpeteman wrote:

1) We had been rolling Human Tech dice equal to the number of the tech track rather than the stage. This meant that by turn 7 or 8 the humans had already discovered almost all of their tech because we were rolling 5, 6, 7 , 8 dice per round (needing only one six). Now that we've got the rule correct and are rolling a max of 3 (in normal mode) that makes things a LOT easier.

Just realised I did the same thing on my first solo game, oops

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zpeteman wrote:

THAT's what that 1, 2, 3 in the triangles mean! Crap! It didn't seem right that they would have almost all the tech out.
My first game I lost solidly, it was somewhat close going into round 6 or so, then tons of human tech with killer effects added up and I ended up losing. Rolled six pretty much every time. I was rolling dice based on the number of the track as well - I did think those puny humans were advancing a little too rapidly, but maybe they were just very motivated.
I'll have to remember the number in the triangle next time I play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I've been playing that rule wrong too, ever since we first got the game in Jan

Yeah, knowing that now, I can see why some people might find the game too easy in the beginning. Heck, my last fews games I've actually been very lucky to not roll many sixes at all, despite using the rule wrong. I've even managed to avoid a single appearance by Captain Fantastic for five consecutive games, and only had 1 nuclear attack in that time, too(maybe Alien invasions are luckier around the full moon...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warpig72 wrote:
Played 8 times so far and every time we've invaded the earth so easily. snore
I finally figured out why we had such an easy time beating the game.

It's mainly because we always keep in hand the "cancel event/human tech" cards.
So every time the resistance comes out with an event that bugs us or a tech, it's being canceled.

I'm gonna take a look at the expansion Apocalypse to see if it raise up the difficulty.

Hope so.

Or, you may just start to reduce the number of those 'cancel' cards available for the Aliens. That should help to adjust the things out for you.

I agree upon this observation - as far as I recall, it is similar to our/mine experience. And even after splitting, there could be still less of those 'cancel' actions for cooperative/solo play definitely.
I will go through the numbers lately (as I do not have the game by me right now)..

EDIT: There are 3 'cancel' effects between alien events (40 total) and 2 'cancel' effects between resistance events (30 total). It does not seem as much, but the pile's cycling increases with the number of players & the cards may be kept until the right moment..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Navy ship resistance and Coastal Defense cards in Apocalypse definitely help in increasing the difficulty...especially those ships. You basically have to beat them twice. But regardless of that, you get to bring out the Apocalypse Cube!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.