Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
victor keen
United Kingdom
westbury
wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the advantage in delivering an opponent's offering?

Since offerings cannot be stolen then possession of an opponent's offering means that he/she cannot win, if you choose not to deliver it. Can this be right? I suggest the rule should be that opponent's offerings are inviolate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
You cannot steal an opponent's offering in the first place. That's written explicitly in the rules. You carry your own offerings to the temple, and other people cannot hinder you save when they play a teleportation card on you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
victor keen
United Kingdom
westbury
wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that.

However under MAKE AN OFFERING the rules state 'a tribe can carry one of your offering markers'. I take this to mean any tribe not just your tribe.

If it should read 'your tribe....' then this suggests that it cannot be carried by an opponent's tribe and being so this would clear up my confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve+Jackie McKeogh
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something 'lost in translation' it would seem. The German, if translated more directly would read 'Offering markers are taken to the temple site - a tribesperson picks up one of his own, face-down offering markers, carries it to the temple site and turns it over.' I find the term tribe confusing as it is used for a single piece rather than the whole tribe. The German word translates as 'native' but that is not considered to be politically correct any more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
victor keen
United Kingdom
westbury
wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it always loses something in translation.

On the question of political correctness I would say that 'tribe' is just as pejorative as 'native'. Perhaps 'ethnic grouping' would be better or even 'team'. However I would think it more important to be historically accurate than to be politically correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boote
United Kingdom
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each wooden piece represents one tribe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.