Subject: Population replacement and offerings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Meckler
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
The first time I played this game, I was taught that you couldn't create a new tribe if your hut had an offering under it. But if you just picked up the offering, you could go ahead and breed.

The last game I played, someone pointed out that that wasn't good enough. The (English) rules say that if the tile has an offering on it, you can't breed there. So if someone else has a hut there with an offering under it, you can't use your hut to breed, even if you've picked up your own offering.

It might even be possible to read the rules as "If there's a tribe carrying an offering in the hex, that hex can't be used to breed in"

What's the correct interpretation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon T
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Mike,

Though it might not be very authoratative since I taught the person who taught you, I've played a few more games since then and conveyed with others.

The way we currently understand it is that if there is *any* hut with an offering on the tile, neither tribe could populate at any hut on that tile.

Tribes can be carrying offerings and populate just so long as there are none under the huts. In order to pick an offering up, you would have to do that on the turn after you created the hut since creating the hut happens after movement in a turn.

I like this interpretation (which also reads well with the instructions) since it enables a tribe to forcibly delay another tribe's repopulation (at least on that hut).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with Mike when the question came up. It seems to me that the interpretation - appropriately literal from the English rules - would hamstring players horribly if they ended up needing to share a tile with huts. In our game, one player had - really mostly good luck - in being able to put two of his own huts in a space, and he won *without* your interpretation.

I'd like to hear from someone who is familiar with the original German rules on this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Capra
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see some sort of offical reply on this as well. I have ruled in our games that you can not prevent another player from populating just by keeping your offering marker under your own hut.

Also if we can get some official rulings I would like to clarify exactly how the Teleport and Expulsion card work on a tribe that is carrying an offering marker.

Triplec

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn Peeters
Belgium
Leffingen
West Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our games with the dutch rules,
There it is clearly stated that you can not reproduce on a tile if there is a hut with an offering under it. So this means you can block an other player!

This does change the moment the offering is taken from under the hut!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.