aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently picked this game up hoping for a good co-op with hidder traitor game.

It strikes me that 4-6 would be it's sweet spot, but 'plays best with' seems to indicate this is bad with 5-6.

Any reasons to share for this? thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zenmazster wrote:
I recently picked this game up hoping for a good co-op with hidder traitor game.

It strikes me that 4-6 would be it's sweet spot, but 'plays best with' seems to indicate this is bad with 5-6.

Any reasons to share for this? thanks in advance!

I'm not sure that...

Quote:
(8 voters)

is a great pool to rely on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with 5 with the traitor and it was fun. I've known others that played it with 6 with the traitor and liked it as well. I've played it with 2 and also enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it twice with 6 (no traitor) and it was fun both times. We caught the killer on the 3 gang space once (but almost lost due to crime wave level), and the 1 gang space the other time.

I would say both games were close and fun.

-Munch "I think the game is balanced even though there are more players, there are less turns per player" Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have heard very little (if any at all) complaints that differing nmbers of players cause a significantly better or worse game. While there may be small/subtle differences, this games seems superbly designed with differing # of players in mind.

- SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it twice with 6 players and I did notice this:

Upgrades are not nearly as useful because you have so few turns in the game with 6 players. What do you get ...6 or 7 turns before the game ends. Not worth upgrading at all.

Now if you played 2 player you would get (I don't remember exactly) like 18 or 20 turns and so you would get a whole lot more use out of upgrading.

Nobody has upgraded a single thing in each of my 6 player games.

While I appreciate the scaling mechanic, I don't know if it works well with the upgrade mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glookose wrote:

While I appreciate the scaling mechanic, I don't know if it works well with the upgrade mechanic.

Interesting point you make. I have never played more than a two player game - so it was nice to see you point this out.

As a side note - in the 100 or so games we have played duo - we have maybe once or twice upgraded - during the first few games we played. After we got better at the game and started wining more and more, we simply did not upgrade anymore.

- SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donuts are not easy to get in 6 players, which also detracts from upgrades, but there are more people who can toss cards in to assist in situations, so challenges balance that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sargonkid wrote:
glookose wrote:

Interesting point you make. I have never played more than a two player game - so it was nice to see you point this out.

As a side note - in the 100 or so games we have played duo - we have maybe once or twice upgraded - during the first few games we played. After we got better at the game and started wining more and more, we simply did not upgrade anymore.

- SK

I want to like this game.
The theme is great, but the gameplay seems lacking something. Those dice rolls to resolve a crisis or to arrest punks are just a little bit soul-less.

I am trying to think of a couple of tweaks that would make it play more like Battlestar and less like Elder Sign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glookose wrote:

I am trying to think of a couple of tweaks that would make it play more like Battlestar and less like Elder Sign.

I (and am sure others) would love to see what you come up with. Please share what you come up with.

While I like the game just the way it is, I am always interested to see how others may try to tweak or otherwise modify a game.

- SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.