Richard Boyes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule 6.1 states that "You may always fire at adjacent units."

But in Rule 11.2.2 it states Smoke "blocks LOS into, out of, and through the hex."

Generally you need an LOS to fire at a hex, but if a unit is adjacent and in smoke it seems that you can fire at it without an LOS. I'm thinking the reference to blocking LOS into a hex by smoke would be for fire from more than one hex away. Does anyone agree?

Similarly for the fire "out of" a smoke hex. Only if the target is more than one hex away would the prohibition apply.

Thanks again for any help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Petters
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that LOS only factors on hexes between units. If you are adjacent to your enemy, there is no hex between the two of you and therefore LOS is guaranteed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Initially I would have gone along with Richard, being that smoke is an advanced rule and the rules do not suggest that advance rules take precedence, so I thought rules are able to co-exist quite happily and that what the smoke did was to remove LOS to anything to/from something that us further than 1 hex away.

HOWEVER, this is what the errata has to say (BELOW), the last sentence has been added to the rules and since smoke does not give a penalty other than LOS blockage, I now feel that adjacent units DO NOT have a LOS i.e that is the penalty.

Smoke
(11.2.2-WSR): To resolve a smoke fire mission, place a Smoke 2 marker in the impact hex as determined in 11.2. This marker blocks LOS into,
out of and through the hex, and the six adjacent hexes, from any elevation for all units. All Smoke 2 markers are flipped to their Smoke 1 marker in the subsequent Marker Removal Phase. Any Smoke 1 markers that are on the board at the beginning of the Marker Removal phase
are removed. Only Assaults and Overruns can be performed with no penalties in a smoke hex.

(errata in files section below)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.