Dominion» Forums » Variants

Subject: Question from a newbie about the game Dominion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
spudnic
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Hello fellow gamers! My husband and I recently started playing board games with a local game group. We are being introduced to many new games; co-ops, euros, etc. Tons of fun with new friends.

We have played two deck builders, Dominion and DC Comics. We enjoyed them both, but seemed to like the play of DC Comics a bit more - the way you load up what you can "buy" five cards at a time randomly from the deck, rather than laying out all the stacks at once like in Dominion.

My question is this: can you play Dominion the way DC Comics is played, shuffling all the decks into one and randomly laying out five at a time to "buy". I rather like the theme of Dominion a bit more, although the DC Comics artwork is fantastic.

We would like to start buying some games for ourselves, but of course price dictates everything, so we have to go slowly!

Thanks for any advice!
spudnic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
You should post this in the Dominion game entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool thing about board games is you can play them anyway you want. BUT consider that folks have put a lot of time into making Dominion what it is. I would suggest playing a lot of times the way it is intended before trying variants.

Also in the future post in the game you are talking about. In this case Dominion - Variants. I imagine an admin will be here soon to move this to the right place.

Welcome to BGG. It is a great place to be!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spudnic
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Oops, sorry. Still trying to work out where everything is...this site is HUGE! I'll try to put my posts in the right spots

I agree that we need to play the game(s) more to fully appreciate them, but we don't own them (yet). Just starting to dip our toes into the world of gaming. Thanks for the input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another possibility that might work for you is the Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring Deck Building game. Same basic gAmeplay as the DC deck builder, but with a LotR theme.
I've enjoyed it a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

That's pretty much the way Ascension: Deckbuilding Game works, too. It makes setup much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kr├╝ger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definetely check out Ascension. There are some smaller Ascension expansions available which can be played as standalone two player games. This may be interesting for you. I have never played two player, though, so you better ask more experienced Ascension players what the experience is with two player games and the small sets.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/122294/ascension-immo...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/95064/ascension-retur...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do that with Dominion, but to be honest the game gets much worse for it, and there other games that are designed to work that way - Dominion isn't.

I think that Dominion is by far the best of the deckbuilders, even after all the new games since. I think you should definitely give it some more play, as it's intended.

If it really doesn't work for you though, I think you should try other deckbuilding games that might better suit you, rather than trying to 'fix' Dominion in a way that doesn't really work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

Dominion is like a diamond... every time you look at it a different facet appears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly what you are looking for but you could buy the black market promo card. You put one of each card not in the selected ten,
In the black market. That would give you a little more variety

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you play Dominion, be sure to use one of expansion cards: Black Market. This card will allow you to purchase from random draws from a deck of cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved Thread
Moved this thread from the General Gaming forum to the Dominion Variants forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
I answered you in another thread a moment ago but see that you've asked the question in two places.

First, welcome to BGG. Feel free to ask questions and join in the community.

Second, to address your question:

Dominion would be playable that way but I don't know that it would be fun. Part of the charm of Dominion is building combos and synergy with your cards. Much of that would be lost if you couldn't plan your strategy out in advance.

If I want to play a game this way, I would just play Ascension: Deckbuilding Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spudnic
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Thanks all for your answers! I will definitely give Dominion more play the way it is intended, and we'll have to check out the other games suggested, as well. It's not that I dislike Dominion the way it is, just curious if it would work the other way as well, as a variant. The gaming world is brand-new to us, with so much to explore! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome, spudnic!

Dominion is a game that is highly developed. That is to say many hours, probably hundreds if not thousands, were spent tuning the rules and the cards. Time was spent on each card, and on each set ensuring the game play is as the designer intended.

I also recommend you play Dominion as written for a long time before you tweak the rules.

However, if you seek games that really need tweaking, I recommend you spend time getting to learn the many print and play games you can find here. Print them out, get some adventurous friends and play them. Find things that don't work or make the game better in your experience. Start discussions with other fans and the designer and help make the games better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea of having a fixed "Kingdom" versus having a rotating set of available purchases basically gives you two different game experiences - in the former, everyone has approximately equal access to all cards at all times, at the expense of making many of the important decisions take place at the start of the game; in the latter, practically no decisions can be made pre-game as you have to react to what's available, but this means that having the right cards at the right time is more of a factor, especially if there are some quite powerful unique (or rare) cards.
I don't think either choice is necessarily better than the other, but I definitely prefer the Dominion style of set-up. There are even hints that Dominion was going to be more like the latter style, but the former was used while playtesting to make sure that plenty of possible card interactions could be examined, and as it turned out to work that way that's what they stuck with. I also agree with the comments that part of the joy of Dominion is in finding the cards that work together well and building a strategy around them, which is much harder to do when you're not sure if you'll see either of them available for purchase when you need them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.