BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Call for Participation in Board Game Rules Study rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wendi kavanaugh

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Attention Board Gamers! This is a call for participating in a study on board game rules, Playing with the Rules: Approaches to Board Game Rules. This study is designed to understand how rules are used and/or ignored in board games. The information used will be used in research essay for an independent study. Participation in the study typically takes 10-15 minutes to complete a survey and is strictly anonymous. Participants will be asked to answer a series of questions about previous board game experience. Please use this link to https://utdallas.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eFDOmoGg2SOem5n to complete survey. Please email me, Wendi Kavanaugh, Principle Investigator, at WendiK@UTDallas.edu if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you for your time and feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hovan
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Survey completed - good luck with your study and results!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
how many board games do you own

12 or more

tee hee hee hee

survey filled out though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Odd questions.

"12 or more" doesn't even scratch the surface on the number of games in my collection.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Satan Himself
United States
Dead Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
For the question "Have you ever played a rule incorrectly?" two of the choices are "No" and "I'm not sure" - which are basically the same thing if you think about it.

Some of the answers provided for questions seem really bias.
I mean look at this.
Quote:

How do you feel about the rules in Twilight Imperium®?

Not played
Too many, but I enjoyed the game
Hate the rules
In different
Other, please explain

and
Quote:

In Twilight Imperium ® rules the game rules sometimes contradict each other during the game and when expansion packs are added. How do you feel about this?

Not played
Hate it
Find ways around it
In different
Ignore one or several of the rules
Other, please explain

So enjoying Twilight Imperium is such a hard thing to fathom that you have to choose other and explain yourself. It's a solid game guys, seriously. Also, the game has rules for when rules "contradict" each other so it never actually does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendi kavanaugh

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback and for taking the quiz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Do you consider yourself a subject matter expert in the board game hobby, Wendi? If not, did you consult with anyone who is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Springheeledjack wrote:
Odd questions.

"12 or more" doesn't even scratch the surface on the number of games in my collection.whistle

If BGG wrote the answers...

1) I am a total newbie, I own less then 100 boardgames.

2) I own a barely respectful collection of 100-250 boardgames.

3) I have a modest collection. I own 250-500 boardgames.

4) I have an average side collection. I own 500-1k boardgames.

5) I am basically the alpha-gamer in the group. I own 1k-5k boardgames.

6) I am personally responsible for the deforestation of the Amazon. I own 5k+ boardgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendi kavanaugh

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
Do you consider yourself a subject matter expert in the board game hobby, Wendi? If not, did you consult with anyone who is?

No, I'm by no means an expert but I am consulting those who are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
wendilk wrote:
NateStraight wrote:

No, I'm by no means an expert but I am consulting those who are.

It would have been good to include some of the more common deviations from rules up front:

- "if a game's rules do not mention negotiation between players, is it allowed?"

- "if a game's rules say that money is hidden (or open) information, do you ever play with it open (or hidden)?"

- "if a game specifies a method for selecting starting player, do you use the specified method?"

And so on. Examples are not hard to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The "Have you ever played a rule incorrectly" question is also essentially a human/robot test, seems to me. Much more interesting would be to probe into what is done when it comes to light that you'd played incorrectly: do you fix it right away, continue as before, continue over multiple repeat plays as before (before or without subsequently correcting the error), decide that your version was better/worse, etc, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Satan Himself
United States
Dead Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
NateStraight wrote:
"if a game specifies a method for selecting starting player, do you use the specified method?"
It just dawned on me that I might have answered a question incorrectly. If you consider determining who plays first as a game rule than we've knowingly broken many rules many times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
I have played at least 500 games and played a rule wrong in almost every one of them at one time or another. I have even played rules wrong in games I designed and published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendi kavanaugh

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks again! Feedback is always welcome and appreciated.
Wendi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.