Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yesterday I played Article 27 twice. We liked the game and enjoyed the sessions. However we need to understand how some aspects of the game should really work.

First, in a 4-player game, things ran smoothly... maybe too much smoothly, because all proposals were approved.

In the 6-player game, 5 minutes was little time for us. Everybody was talking almost at the same time, like a messy auction:

- 1 point to put the Green in.
- Then 1 point to keep the Green out.
- Then 1 more point to put the Green in.

And this happening with several colors at the same time. In my turn as Secretary, I felt overwhelmed.

Is there a tip to keep the order while playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no tip... other than "Be the Man!" (or Woman!).

You have to exert your control, your personal influence, to maximize the game Influence that you can garner during your turn as Secretary General.

And when not the Secretary General, you need to subtly exert control as well, not giving up the information too readily that X color is good for you or not.

The game is about being very subtle in how you manipulate the others.

And this is not an auction game, as you mentioned. It is *pure* negotiation. If people are getting too unruly, you as the Secretary General can say "I won't hear any of your offers unless you wait your turn".

It's interesting that you said it was chaotic. Often in my games, people are relatively quiet, studying what others seem to be wanting and then trying to extract more Influence from them to support that particular proposal.

It's a great mind game, as all games of negotiation are.

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.