Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Kline

Bakersfield
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one that is reminded of Bungie's tactical video game Myth when I see this game? Myth was a fantasy real time tactical game for the computer that shared a similar style.

[geekurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_(series)]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_(series)[/geekurl]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mitbnet wrote:
Am I the only one that is reminded of Bungie's tactical video game Myth when I see this game? Myth was a fantasy real time tactical game for the computer that shared a similar style.

[geekurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_(series)]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_(series)[/geekurl]
At least one other thought that. Not sure I'd say similar style though. But it does make me wonder what a minis game based on it would be like. Though it wouldn't be complete without someone standing by with a deep voice to say "Unit lost."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Kline

Bakersfield
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
or the dwarf saying "Make a hole!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bungie's Myth: The Fallen Lords is one of my top 3 favorite computer games of all-time. I played a ridiculous amount of Myth multiplayer. When I saw the name Myth, the miniatures/board game, I immediately thought of the computer games. I'm a little surprised there isn't some kind of trademark conflict due to the same name. The gameplay doesn't bear much resemblance that I can see, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from some naming conventions they do not seem very simmilar at all so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Risto R
Finland
Hämeenlinna
Häme
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Aside from some naming conventions they do not seem very simmilar at all so far.

Which made me sad and not even intereseted in this one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I didn't stick with it long enough,... But the interface and gameplay of the first one seemed a bit clunky at the time compared to others. What did you like so much about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Name-wise, I also immediately thought of the old Myth strategy game. But they really have just about nothing in common.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yamato2 wrote:
Maybe I didn't stick with it long enough,... But the interface and gameplay of the first one seemed a bit clunky at the time compared to others. What did you like so much about it?

Those are not adjectives I would ever associate with these Bungie games. But here's what I liked so much about it: First off, it had all the fun of an RTS (real-time strategy game) without the boring (to me) parts of mining for resources and building your units as in Warcraft II and Starcraft. You started your battle with some number of units and that was it. Multiplayer gameplay was pure battle tactics rather than who could mine gold the fastest. It had real 3D terrain and the best physics simulation in any game at the time. The sound design was fantastic, from the music to the voices. The solo campaign had a surprisingly mature and well written narrative. A strong community of modders created lots of additional maps for both online and solo play. Online multiplayer was surprisingly smooth over a slow modem and loads of fun.

The only reason I can think of as to why you thought the interface was "clunky" at the time was that you had to control the camera in the 3D environment. People without a strong sense of spatial geometry sometimes had difficulty with that at first. But if you played it for a while, it became very natural to move and rotate the camera in the 3D environment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was so long ago, that I don't really remember what it was that I didn't like,... I recall it being very similar to Total War (again,... I'm pretty sure that I only ever played the first title in that series)

As I look at the screen shots and think on it more,... It could have been system issues,... I remember it being slow,... There were plenty of times that I had near the fastest stuff available,.... But never dual video cards or anything really high end on the graphics side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yamato2 wrote:
As I look at the screen shots and think on it more,... It could have been system issues,... I remember it being slow,... There were plenty of times that I had near the fastest stuff available,.... But never dual video cards or anything really high end on the graphics side.

It didn't require a fancy graphics card. If you had a 3Dfx Voodoo card, which was pretty much the baseline for 3D games at the time, that was plenty powerful enough for silky smooth 3D graphics. But you could play it without a Voodoo card on a Mac, I know.

Myth: The Fallen Lords predates Shogun: Total War by three years, according to Wikipedia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely thought of the old video game when I first saw this game title. The color scheme of dark blue/purple and brown seemed familiar as well.

The thing I remember most about playing Myth was the dark, oppressive theme. There were little animated cut-scenes sometimes that had an oddly cartoonish style, but the narrations before each level were the best. They were sort of journal entries and they usually mentioned the larger war in progress, which never seemed to be going well. It made each level that much more intense because you really felt like they mattered.

I had only been playing Warcraft 2 up to that point, so the 3D feel of Myth seemed really advanced at the time. And the physics were quite cool.

Wow, this thread brings back a lot of memories of a great game that I thought was forgotten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
yamato2 wrote:

It didn't require a fancy graphics card. If you had a 3Dfx Voodoo card, which was pretty much the baseline for 3D games at the time, that was plenty powerful enough for silky smooth 3D graphics. But you could play it without a Voodoo card on a Mac, I know.

Myth: The Fallen Lords predates Shogun: Total War by three years, according to Wikipedia.

Definitely had a voodoo card as soon as those hit the market,... Maybe I'm confusing or conflating this with a different game,...

Did this one have villagers that would get slaughtered of your tactics were bad?

Edit - definitely had it,... In fact, it's still in a box in the office. I'll defer to your judgment on it, as I barely remember playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yamato2 wrote:
Did this one have villagers that would get slaughtered of your tactics were bad?

The solo campaign had an occasional level like that. The objectives varied quite a bit from level to level. Most levels didn't have any villagers to get in the way. The multiplayer maps certainly didn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Kline

Bakersfield
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All this Myth talk has got me to bust out the game and play it! It blows me away how good a 16 year old game can be!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mitbnet wrote:
All this Myth talk has got me to bust out the game and play it! It blows me away how good a 16 year old game can be!
That's what they call "timeless"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mitbnet wrote:

Right up there with Total Annihilation.

Still play that from time to time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mitbnet wrote:

Yes, I agree completely. The Myth II engine has been ported to modern OSes, and it's fully compatible with Myth: TFL, by the way. There's even still some multiplayer going on, if you look for it. Fantastic game. I was a huge Bungie fan until Microsoft bought them and they became XBox-exclusive. Now, they're independent again, and I can't wait to see what they do with Destiny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.