Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Chilton
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Let me start off by saying that SRTCG is one of my all time favorite card games. It takes place in FASA's popular Shadowrun setting. If your not a big fan of the SR setting then you'll probably still enjoy the game, but I recommend you read up on the basics (just Google "Shadowrun").

However, the setting is secondary to how the game plays. It follows a simple mission based structure, with your characters beating challenges played on those missions in order to complete them. You can play cards from your hand that take the form of equipment of special actions. Equipment (usually) takes the form of weapons or other combat gear. There are special equipment cards for Deckers (programmers) and Shamans and Mages.

Special Action cards really make the game. They have very characterful card titles and cool effects. Simple cards like "Even Steven" (which Kills one of your opponents contacts after they kill one of yours), or the complex "Gang HQ" cards that change how all of your "Ganger" character abilities function.

There is a special division of action cards that I call "Fight" cards. These are cards that start battles between two players (normally players don't fight each other, they battle challenges). Fight card heavy decks can be some of the best ones you can play.Combining the high power (and strength related abilities) of orc/troll Gangers and certain gang HQ's can make brutal decks that usually win by beating the opponent into submission and completing missions at their leisure.

Multi-player with Shadowrun is fun and plays naturally. Because of the non-player combat centric game play the game can easily expand to include up to six players. I find that adding more is okay, but makes turns last too long (for a TCG). There is also a quite enjoyable SRTCG variant online that allows you to play the game solo, in fact, this is probably one of the better solo games I have ever played.

All in all, Shadowrun is a solid TCG and quite worth the twenty bucks it will cost you to get hundreds of cards off of ebay. It has many solid rules variants and decks with fun themes can make the game play very differently. So, If you like TCG's and your looking for a less competitive gaming experience I Shadowrun the trading card game comes with my highest recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.