Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen the word used on BGG and even online gamestore sights - and have no idea what it refers to. I realize a crayon is a wax stick used to color paper, but what does it mean in the board game context?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much a wax stick used to color paper... Unless there is some other connotation "crayon" applies to besides something like the crayon rail series, where the track is drawn onto the map by using crayons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Hunsucker
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you mean crayon rail games, it means that you use crayons to draw your track on the board. Each player has a different color so everyone knows who drew what.

Besides rail games and the original Power Grid (Funkenschlag), I don't know of any other game types that use crayons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Source of the Nile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are various 'railway games' that involve constructing your railway by drawing your lines across a laminated hex map of some country. You usually have to link up cities and pay more cost to go over rivers or mountains. They generally involve rounds of spending, running trains, earning income, and spending again to expand your network.

The US versions tended to use crayons, the UK versions used soluble ink pens, the sort you'd use for overhead projectors. Good examples are US/British/Nippon Rails, Railways Rivals/Dampfross. They often have expansion maps or double sided boards. I think the actual crayons used are special though, not just your standard kids crayons.

The only other game I can think that uses crayon/chinagraph pencil is Showmanager/Atlantic Star. You mark your value on your chit, and later can take money out, so reducing the value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep - always in reference to rail type games. Thanks for the quick and thorough responses. Got it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Conrad
England
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a silly question, Greg. If you didn't know, you didn't know. Now you do.

EYE of NiGHT wrote:
The only other game I can think that uses crayon/chinagraph pencil is Showmanager/Atlantic Star. You mark your value on your chit, and later can take money out, so reducing the value.

The Really Nasty Horse Race Game uses a soluble marker for posting the odds on each horse for the current round - these are then wiped off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
I think the actual crayons used are special though, not just your standard kids crayons.

Yeah, it should be emphasized Crayola crayons are much more difficult to wipe off and can stain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As did a lot of the old 3M games, (Speed Circuit, Stocks and Bonds, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also used in vector based movement games like Triplanetary (1973).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Are crayons still being used in games? I would think that dry-erase markers would work a lot better for many of these games.

Crayons are A LOT cheaper than pens--that's why Mayfair doesn't supply pens.

Dry erase markers are a poor substitute for crayons. They rub off too easily. When players draw track in the same area as earlier track, they can easily rub out and smudge the old track with their wrist or arm. Dry erase markers usually have a wide "point".

I use "wet erase" or "Overhead projector" markers which dry quickly & don't smudge and typically comes in a finer point which works better. You need to geta wet paper towel to handle the inevitable floods, errors and to clean up when the game is over.

I also use plexiglass sheets to cover the map--my map never gets stained. Clear roll up plastic also works.

Some people use china markers as another alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
We use to use grease pencils instead of the crayons when I played some of the Mayfair train games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Squires
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Iron Dragon:

Lancashire Railways

PS - I used crayon in a sentence earlier today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.