Hide
16 Posts

Endeavor» Forums » General

Subject: Recommendations for similar games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Employee 2-4601
msg tools
I'm looking for a game to give as a present, and Endeavor seems like it would tick a lot of boxes for me, so I thought perhaps fans of this game would be able to suggest some other games with similar attributes.

The particular things which make Endeavor attractive in this instance are:

* Plays in under two hours.
* Very little luck involved.
* Good interactivity between players (avoiding the "multi-player solitaire" effect is critical).
* Suits 3-4 players (well, I gather Endeavor better suits 4-5; 3-4 is the ideal target)
* Moderately complex (I'd be happier to get more complex, but of course the playing time is a constraint).

If anyone can suggest other games which cover most or all of those criteria, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Hansa Teutonica.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
Agreed on Hansa, except it's even more "suits 4-5"; Endeavor is different with 3, but still very interesting. With Hansa I wouldn't bother playing with 3.

Medina, one of my all-time favorite games, fits this particular set of requirements very well too. Lancaster might also be worth a look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Kalenda
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
If you don't mind auctions, Chicago Express has everything you mention.

I'd also suggest In the Year of the Dragon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than those mentioned, a few others worth looking at:
Cuba
Homesteaders
Il Vecchio
Navegador

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take Tzolk'in for a spin
I concur with Navegador, should you want a similar theme substituting an economic race for the war. But ignoring theme and looking at your criteria I recommend Tzolk'in, which combines your needs with looking drop dead gorgeous. It may take a game or two before you get a handle on what constitutes good play, but it is a problem mitigated by the other strengths of the game.

Picture credit: (karel_danek)

If you think the wheels are attractive now check out the game entry to see what can be achieved with some paint!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Employee 2_4601 wrote:
The particular things which make Endeavor attractive in this instance are:

* Plays in under two hours.
* Very little luck involved.
* Good interactivity between players (avoiding the "multi-player solitaire" effect is critical).
* Suits 3-4 players (well, I gather Endeavor better suits 4-5; 3-4 is the ideal target)
* Moderately complex (I'd be happier to get more complex, but of course the playing time is a constraint).

The Manhattan Project has all of the above but with a fairly different theme.

- Most of games I've played last less than 70 minutes with 3 players
- The only luck is which buildings and bombs are available to choose from, similar to Endeavor's initial counter placement on the board.
- Great interactivity between players in that you can directly bomb each others' buildings and even use espionage in order to steal/block your opponents building functionality
- Suits 3-4 people (sweet-spot) but can even play up to 5
- Moderate complexity. I feel that the building combos, timing for worker retrieval and lack of a "start player" or "rounds", and metagaming make this a more complex game than Endeavor.

My collection has both games and I enjoy them both equally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a newer game, perhaps CO2? You are in fact required to interact with other players or everyone will lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Florik wrote:
If you don't mind auctions, Chicago Express has everything you mention.

I'd also suggest In the Year of the Dragon.

Seconding Chicago Express. And if trains are a suitable theme, First Train to Nuremberg is another 0-luck option. It even boasts a similar initial-setup-has-huge-variability mechanic to Endeavor's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
In keeping with a 2009 vintage, I'd also add Vasco da Gama.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
For a newer game, perhaps CO2? You are in fact required to interact with other players or everyone will lose.

Mhhh...IMHO, CO2 doesn't fit for 2 hours. But it is indeed a very good choice given to the OP's other criteria.

I am thinking about an underrated, overlooked and "old" game : Amyitis. This game is a blast for 3P. Lot of interaction and screwage with competent players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Employee 2-4601
msg tools
Many thanks for all the suggestions, folks (and for any others still to come). Greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Empires III: similar theme, just a little luck, good interactivity, and medium complexity; scales well and plays 'bout 25 to 30 minutes per player...so with 3 or 4 should fit your target playing time.

One upcoming game you might want to check out is Eagle Games newest entry, Francis Drake. It's currently on Kickstarter and it's due out in August of this year...it might have a little more randomness than you're lookin' for but it sounds like there some ways within the game to mitigate it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. snowMan
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A slightly obscure game which feels a fair amount like Endeavor to me is Olympos.

It has all the requested aspects, plus area control with resource management. A very interesting game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Hansa Teutonica exclusively with three people and we find it brilliant. It may be better with 4-5, but it is without a doubt worth buying if you are only three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Applegate
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will give a +1 to Hansa Teutonica. It is amazing, and pretty much nails all of your requirements (I, also really like it with 3 players).

Goa also kind of feels like Endeavor, but a little more boiled down. There is some luck with the card draw, but I feel like luck rarely dictates the outcome of the game. I wouldn't say that there is less interaction, but it is different. Most of the interaction in Goa comes from the auctions, but since the bids (for the most part) go to the active player, it creates something of a closed economy, so there is more to think about than with other auction games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.