Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marty Wißmath
Canada
Port Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is pretty darn difficult. I'm wondering if it is even possible to beat the game with the following set-up:

2 Hobbits in all 3 expansions + Dark tiles + Sauron start position 10 using the Black Gate with Military Victory=Watchful Peace (back to discarding cards thereafter), AND immediate loss when ONE Hobbit is eliminated? Has anyone ever won like this? wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
As you said - that's the highest difficulty imagineable. As LotR features a fair amount of luck it is, of course, possible. Just highly inlikely.

I wouldn't play it this way normally

However it might be fun to run a novelty tournament to see which who can get the farthest with such a setup.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question. I don’t know if it is mathematically impossible or not, but I would say that it is close enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Wißmath
Canada
Port Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the original playtesters?; it's a totally legitimate setup AFAIK (all official material), and the 'one hobbit elimination' is specifically mentioned in the rules for experienced players. They must have tried it out, to make sure it was at least doable.

EDIT: To maintain the highest difficulty, the Watchful Peace card should not actually be used, but kept only for the 10 points (the One Ring should not be included at all). That gives you a nice sum of 40 extra points for your military prowress, and a base total of 100 if Mt. Doom is reached. For a real exercise in game-board masochism (and a shot at the highest possible score), no scenarios should be skipped!

Quote:
However it might be fun to run a novelty tournament to see which who can get the farthest with such a setup.

Fun? Yeah... I guess so, maybe... for Sauron. saurondevilsauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
"Military Victory=Watchful Peace" is not official. It's something a few of us fanboys have come up with to keep things in the spirit of the novel. I always play like that these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Wißmath
Canada
Port Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"Military Victory=Watchful Peace" is not official. It's something a few of us fanboys have come up with to keep things in the spirit of the novel. I always play like that these days.

True. I edited my above post: if the WP card isn't actually played, then it shouldn't affect the outcome of the game except to increase the base score. The question then is simply if the game is winnable by destroying the One Ring with the highest base score (100) when the Black Gate is used (in the OP setup). Or is Military Victory the only way out?

Going back to discarding cards is a variant on the official F&F rules too so you could leave that part out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Neithan wrote:
They must have tried it out, to make sure it was at least doable.

I wouldn't count on that. Consider that all of the following are possible options to include or not:

F&F
Sauron
Dark Tiles
Watchful Peace
One Ring
Black Gate
One-Hobbit = Loss

That alone gives you 128 different ways to play the game. Multiplied by 4 different possible number of hobbits and you have 512 possibilities. Multiply again by 3 different starting spots for Sauron and have a grand total of 1536 ways to play the game. It's a bit much to expect that every permutation has been thoroughly tested, I think. It is more than sufficient to make sure each component works on its own and in the most likely combinations and doesn't tilt the scale of difficulty to far in one direction or the other.

Asking that they ensure that the game be winnable under the most sadistic of conditions is a bit silly.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've always disliked the "Iron Hobbit" variant, where everyone loses if one hobbit dies. I'd always much rather play with Sauron closer. Much of the fun we've had with this game involves convincing players to sacrifice their hobbit for the greater good--the angst of the endgame when hobbits start falling is what makes this game great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While it might very well be impossible to 'win' (ring destroyed), my group hasn't yet, getting a good score with all the expansions in play seemed more satisfying than simply winning the base game. A good score for my group would be to crack the 50 point barrier or less than 20 for the Sauron player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.