Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian A
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here's a doozy, but for me personally something I would love to see.

If BGG stored the date on which a user changed or added game ratings and personal comments, we could eventually have a tool to sort ratings and comments by that date and get an idea in researching a game if the comments we are seeing were posted immediately after the game came out or were posted years after the game came out.

In other words, sometimes I would love to see which personal comments are a result of many plays and updated comments rather than first impressions. For me, the ratings and comments are a crucial knowledge-tool on here.

And storing such information might also lead to a voluntary automated service reminding users that their particular rating for a particular game has been there a year, would they like to update it or leave it the same? etc.

Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that wouldn't help that much. Just because a rating was made a year after a game came out doesn't mean the rater has multiple plays on the game--it could still be just one, or even none (stupid, but it does happen). It's much more useful if the rater indicates an approximate number of plays in the comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
lmyrick wrote:
It seems to me that wouldn't help that much. Just because a rating was made a year after a game came out doesn't mean the rater has multiple plays on the game--it could still be just one, or even none (stupid, but it does happen). It's much more useful if the rater indicates an approximate number of plays in the comments.

I see what you are saying but that still doesn't tackle the real concern for me here which at its heart is this:

A lot of people (me included occasionally) rate once and never look back. I would love to see more recent ratings and re-ratings rise to the surface if I ask for them. Caylus is one example. Come July, I would like to see if there is a pattern among the ratings that have been there 6 months and those that are brand new. Also, the more re-rating a game has is telling as well.

But mostly I think a voluntary reminder that my rating hasn't been updated in a year would be fun and would keep information current.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dating ratings...
Personal comments...

Sounds oddly like a different kind of website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Propo Pod wrote:
But mostly I think a voluntary reminder that my rating hasn't been updated in a year would be fun and would keep information current.

That's not a bad idea. I do often look at comments and ratings and wonder how long ago they were written. And a reminder might spur me to update my comments and change some ratings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And this is exactly why I've started putting in my comments # of plays and the date I revised the rating and comment.

I'm trying to do that every time I input that I have played the game. But on busy game nights followed by busy days sometimes I only have time to input that I played the game and havn't re-rated or updated my comments.

But it is my personal goal to make my comments more useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I've asked for this feature twice now (both times ignored), but for a different reason.

I like to browse new comments for a specific user regularly. If someone has a lot of comments - say, Chris Farrell - it would be easier to me to highlight what has been recently updated. As it is, I waste a lot of time scanning through his comments looking for new entries.

- d

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.