Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
By some incredible cosmic coincidence, my wife and I were both born on April 24th 1976, apparently within about 2 hours of each other (although in 2 different countries). This year we'll be celebrating by hosting an open gaming day in the private event room of our local pub. Here are the details - please come join us!

DAY: Saturday, April 27th, 2013
TIME: 1:00PM - 7:00PM
LOCATION: The Duke and Duchess Pub, 900 Jamieson Parkway*, Cambridge, Ontario
COST: Free!! (But please support the pub by purchasing drinks and/or appetizers/food.)
ACCOMMODATIONS: For those who wish to enjoy a few drinks throughout the afternoon, a Hilton Hotel is immediately adjacent to the pub and is thus within very easy crawling distance.

*Exit northbound from the 401 onto Townline Road, and you'll see the pub immediately on your left (left at the first lights, then left into the driveway just past the Petro Canada and Tim Hortons).

A few other notes:
-BYOG: Bring Your Own Games. I've personally been really itching to play Exodus: Proxima Centauri, which handles 2-6 players, so let me know if you're interested in getting in on that one with me! (And I'm sure I'll have a few others with me too.)
-This will be a "hobbit-style" celebration, which means that instead of you bringing gifts, we are going to provide you with gifts! Everyone that attends will receive a free pint/beverage of your choice, and there will be opportunities to win gift certificates for www.fungamescafe.com!
-I'll be starting up a game auction sometime in the next few days with the auction due to end shortly before the 27th, so there will be an opportunity to pick up auction winnings at the event. [Link to follow...]
-We've never had a function at this pub before, so please be courteous to the staff, tip well, and do your part to leave a favourable impression in case we utilize this space for future events.

For those who are planning to attend:
-Please reply here so that I have a rough idea of numbers.
-When you arrive at the pub, the private room is along the back left side of the building.
-Feel free to discuss in this thread games you'd like to bring and play, or games you'd like other people to bring to play.

Hope to see you there! Cheers! meeple

-Josh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Monterroso
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
If you are not having fun, then you are missing the point.
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not yet know if I will be able to attend, but I certainly hope that I can! It would be an absolute pleasure to celebrate with you.

(I am currently coaching my daughter's U9 rep soccer team and we don't know if we are going to have field time that weekend)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sen-Foong Lim
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Argh! This is the say we're planning on doing the London Family Game Day...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will have to check with my Girlfriend, but good chance we can make it. I will confirm closer to the date.

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Monterroso
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senfoonglim wrote:

Too Late! This date is taken.
Find another date for London Family Game Day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senfoonglim wrote:

Dammit, Sen!! Tell you what - I'll come to your event if you come to mine. Oh, wait...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Q
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Burn the land and boil the sea...
badge
You can't take the sky from me...
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a great idea, Josh! I'll see if I can convince the GF to drop by... she's been begging me to get to know more people in K-W ever since we moved here 2 months ago.

I'll confirm with her in the next day or two, and try to pop by! She may or may not accompany me, since she's more of a welterweight when it comes to board games (Cards Against Humanity, yes. Twilight Imperium, no). I'd love to give Exodus: Proxima Centauri a whirl!

Anyway, I'll post here again when I know for sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marx09 wrote:
This sounds like a great idea, Josh! I'll see if I can convince the GF to drop by... she's been begging me to get to know more people in K-W ever since we moved here 2 months ago.

I'll confirm with her in the next day or two, and try to pop by! She may or may not accompany me, since she's more of a welterweight when it comes to board games (Cards Against Humanity, yes. Twilight Imperium, no). I'd love to give Exodus: Proxima Centauri a whirl!

Anyway, I'll post here again when I know for sure!

Marc, we would love to have you and your girlfriend stop by and welcome you guys to the 'hood! cool It's meant to be a very casual affair, so people of all gaming experiences/preferences are welcome, even if they just want to hang out with a beverage and not play anything.

And with various scheduling conflicts that people seem to be having we're not expecting a huge turn out, but even if it's just me and my wife playing 2-player games and enjoying a pint in a large room of the pub, I'll still have a good time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geekgirl123
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter has the same birthday but born on a different year (2011). We are going to have a party for her April 27.
I hope your celebration is well attended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Monterroso
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ccmonter wrote:
I do not yet know if I will be able to attend, but I certainly hope that I can! It would be an absolute pleasure to celebrate with you.
(I am currently coaching my daughter's U9 rep soccer team and we don't know if we are going to have field time that weekend)

I have just found out that the U9 Waterloo Girls will be having a practice on the date in question, so I will not be able to attend your birthday celebrations.

I hope that you have a great time and that we can get together in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ccmonter wrote:
ccmonter wrote:

I have just found out that the U9 Waterloo Girls will be having a practice on the date in question, so I will not be able to attend your birthday celebrations.

I hope that you have a great time and that we can get together in the future.

(Catch ya next time, Christian!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 4 days until the event!! If anyone would like me to bring any particular games from my collection, just let me know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update your wishlist/want in trade list!

Let me know if you want me to bring anything as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kaylex wrote:
Update your wishlist/want in trade list!

My complete WishList is as follows:
-gift certificate for fungamescafe.com (or Amazon or iTunes or PizzaPizza...)

In all seriousness, I'm very content with my current game collection and there aren't many other games out there that I'd even want to own. (What I really need are time and energy to play the games I already have!)

And also, people aren't supposed to bring gifts to this event (remember, it's happening the other way around)!

kaylex wrote:
Let me know if you want me to bring anything as well.

Will do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geekgirl123
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won a bid on your auction can I come by and pick it up from you at the CambridgeCon and pay you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
geekgirl123 wrote:
I won a bid on your auction can I come by and pick it up from you at the CambridgeCon and pay you.

Absolutely! We'd love to have you there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few more details:

Our generous sponsor, www.fungamescafe.com, has donated the following games as raffle prizes:
-Wits & Wagers Party
-Say Anything
-possibly 1 other...?
We'll be selling raffle tickets at the event for a chance to win those games.

Don't forget to bring games with you! I'll have a few from my own collection, but the more options for games and diversity in styles, the better!

You don't have to play games. Come, have a drink/snack, say hi, hang out - we're aiming for a relaxed and fun time!

If you've never met me before, I currently have a mohawk, a somewhat out-of-control beard, and a tattoo or two. You can't miss me - I sort of stand out in a crowd! whistle

Stop by any time after 1:00PM and come to the event room at the back of the pub. Looking forward to seeing everyone who shows up!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roboros
Canada
Guelph
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had been hoping to make it out for some good times, but alas, ... "stuff".
Have a most wonderful day, and happy birthdays to you both.
-rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theMage wrote:
We had been hoping to make it out for some good times, but alas, ... "stuff".
Have a most wonderful day, and happy birthdays to you both.
-rob

That's a shame, Rob. We'll catch you next time!

And the 3rd prize donation from www.fungamescafe.com has been revealed: Tokaido.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.