Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Once everyone has their bid/action markers somewhere on the board, and once all outbids are resolved, then everyone does what their marker tells them to do. Those whose markers are on bids pay their money and take their tiles; those whose markers are on Renovate do their renovations; those who are on the other one do the other thing. Then everyone takes their markers back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you put your marker on "renovate" or "publicity" you are done bidding for that round. You can NOT go back and decide to bid later. You also do your marker action at the end of the bidding, so you can not renovate and then bid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only change your action when you are outbid. When you are Renovating or Publizising, you are never "outbid", so that is your only action for the ronud.

From the reading of the rules, and also for practical concerns, there is no need for one to wait for the others to finish bidding when he Renovates or Publizices. His action is already set, so he can proceed with carrying it out immediately. I find that, this way one is less prone to forgetting to add the 1 Fame for Publicizing, and also saves "AP" time when one Renovates. (I myself seem to suffer most badly from Renovation AP within our group, probably because of my play style of assembling red corners ... )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is actually one of the aspects of the game I find the most appealing -- how long can you afford to stay in the bidding war before you "bail out" and run for the cover of Publicity/Renovate? Adds great tension to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Kwan wrote:
You can only change your action when you are outbid. When you are Renovating or Publizising, you are never "outbid", so that is your only action for the ronud.

From the reading of the rules, and also for practical concerns, there is no need for one to wait for the others to finish bidding when he Renovates or Publizices. His action is already set, so he can proceed with carrying it out immediately. I find that, this way one is less prone to forgetting to add the 1 Fame for Publicizing, and also saves "AP" time when one Renovates. (I myself seem to suffer most badly from Renovation AP within our group, probably because of my play style of assembling red corners ... )

It seems to me that after all bidding is done, everyone has one action to take and those actions should be taken in order starting with the dealer. Your renovation might affect someone's bidding - if for example it is apparent that you are rearranging things to get a diamond together. Someone might snatch up the fancy slots you had your eye on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd argue that the renovation takes place as soon as you place your marker on the Renovation space, but you still can't bid that round (your marker stays on Renovation until the end of the turn)

Since bids may influence the renovation, or the renovation may influence the bidding, you should finish renovating before anyone else bids. But it probably isn't that big of a deal since the odds of either one influencing the other is very low. In my experience, people won't pay a lot of money to grab a tile just because they think you are making room for it, unless they wanted it in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
FlyingArrow wrote:
It seems to me that after all bidding is done, everyone has one action to take and those actions should be taken in order starting with the dealer.

Not quite correct, the rules state (p.7, left column, second paragraph)

Bidding is complete once each player has taken an action and no players have been outbid for a tile

Certainly implies in my mind that as soon as a player selects renovation or publicity that player performs that action. Bidding is complete only when those bidding on tiles haven't been outbid. Then those players (and only those players) complete their action by paying the bank and taking the tile to place on their sheet or set aside for later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.