Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This post is a follow-up to my earlier one asking for recommendations for French games to buy on a day trip to Lille.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/757092#757092

So today I made my trip. I visited two games shops in Lille: -

Rocambole at 36 Rue de la Clef; and

Artgamer at 57 Rue de la Barre.

Rocambole is a small shop trying to cover most bases. Its stock includes Eurogames, wargames, abstracts, kids' games, RPG's and miniatures. It was there that I made my two purchases - the French edition of Medici and Bruno Cathala's Les Fils de Samarande.

Artgamer is much more focused on the fantasy and sci-fi RPG market and has a smaller selection of Eurogames.

I was looking out for an abstract game called Siam that did well in some best of 2005 lists on French websites and has some great elephant and rhino pieces.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/20782

But it was out of stock at Rocambole, expected next week...

I also hoped to find Turquoise, a pyramid building themed near abstract that was mentioned in a Geeklist about a French award a few weeks ago.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/19707

I downloaded the English rules from the company's website and it looks quite interesting. However, there was no sign of it.

The final game I considered was Dungeon Twister. It was in stock in both shops, along with a bunch of expansions. However, I have few opportunities to play two-player games (yes, Siam is 2-player also, but I collect coffee table abstracts), so I would have wanted the 3-4 player expansion too. Even in France, this would have brought the cost to £40 ($71), which had me thinking twice. I'd also read that downtime may be an issue with 3-4 players. Anyone care to comment on that?

First impressions of Medici are that Dominique Erhard and Editions Lui-meme have done a very nice job. The board is lovely and the Tarot-style cards are excellent too. At last, an edition of Medici where there will be no questions about which column on the board a card relates to. Owners of the terrible Rio Grande edition (one awful misjudgement from a fine company) should be scouring the web for stockists of this one.

Fils de Saramande is an Arabian Nights re-working of the Wild West themed Lawless. Lawless got panned as a bit of a luckfest. Apparently, Bruno Cathala has fixed a few of those problems. I look forward to trying it out.

Finally - and drifting far off topic - if you're ever in Lille and you have any fondness for cheese, make your way to the shop of Philippe Olivier in Rue Cure St. Etienne. They have a fabulous selection of cheeses at the very peak of ripeness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update! I was wondering what you found.

Under the bad influence of your original thread, I ended up ordering the lui-meme edition of Medici from levalet in Montreal last week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.