Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: [WIP] - Assassins rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Schmidt
msg tools
So I'm starting to work on designing my first game and am still in the planning stages. Being pretty new to designer games, I'd just like o get some opinions on my ideas.

The base concept I'm working on is having each player playing an assassin character who are working together to take out a target. Originally I played with the idea of having one person occupy the role of target (who is an mob boss of sorts), but I personally didn't want a 1 vs. many component, so I was thinking maybe have a deck of cards representing actions the boss can take, drawn every turn or whatever.
The assassins would be competing against the board to try and fight their way to the boss, the henchmen being the opponents. I was originally thinking of making this a competitive game, in which players race to the target, but I always really wanted to work in a traitor aspect, which is my favorite type of game. This would be done with one player secretly receiving a 'contract' to switch sides (the money is too good to refuse, so it's automatic, and have them secretly working against the team. Maybe an interesting twist would be to have the boss put a hit on one specific player, so the traitor might have to go after someone specific to win.

Something else I wanted to incorporate are asymmetrical characters - each assassin has different powers and abilities. I'm not just talking about one has +1 to range or whatever, but to each have abilities that play completely differently. Maybe one character is The Necromancer, who is weak in combat but can resurrect henchmen to fight for them, and maybe one is a computer hacker, that can interact with the board in unique ways (hack computer terminals). There could be a knife-fighter, a sniper, a demon, etc. The flavor of the game is going to be pretty crazy, and allow for all of this (just focusing on mechanics for now).

I was also toying with the idea of having special co-op abilities that can only be used by 2 characters (like for example, maybe the sniper and the witch can get together to perform some kind of crazy combo attack). This, I think, would add an interesting choice system in which you might feel the need to combine forces with players, but also don't want to get too close to someone since you may not know if they are the double agent.

These are a few of my raw ideas at the moment, and I'd like to maybe get some suggestions on good ways to implement these mechanics. Are there any similar games I could draw inspiration from? Also, is the premise unique enough to make you wanna play it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fin coe
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one would play this. In terms of the mechanics you're talking about, take a look at BANG! for characters with different abilities, slotting into a role system that has Co-Op and Traitor elements. Sounds like what you're describing is more varied in Ability, and more focused in Role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schmidt
msg tools
Right, that's what I meant. I'll check out Bang!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schmidt
msg tools
Another neat twist on the traitor mechanic would be eventually reveal who has the hit on them, but not who the traitor is. Maybe at the beginning of the first round, or throughout the first 1 or 2 round, each player chooses a card (there will be a bounty card for each character, one of which will be shuffled into a deck of blank cards - if a player draws their own bounty cards they are shuffled again and redistributed). Then, after a certain action is performed, or a certain amount of time has gone by, the cards are shuffled together and revealed tho show who has the hit on them.

I think this would be fun because it gives the assassins a chance to protect one of their own, but the traitor may also use this as an opportunity to get closer tot heir target under the pretext of trying to protect them.

I'm working on a complete rules mockup. Will post when done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.