Hide
8 Posts

Pandemic: On the Brink» Forums » Rules

Subject: Virulent Strain "Rate Effect" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seishin Shaolin Jedi
msg tools
I've looked all over the threads and no one seems to have the answer I'm looking for. Of course, I could be over thinking it, or the rule is just over my head.

The rule on the card states: If at least 1 Infection card of the Virulent Strain is drawn in an infection phase (and the Virulent Strain is not eradicated) draw 1 more Infection card than the current Infection Rate.

Does that mean, for every Infection card you draw of the Virulent Strain, you have to draw another Infection card? For example: If the strain is black, the rate is set at 2, and you draw two black cards, does that mean you have to draw two more Infection cards? And if you draw another black card, does another Infection card get drawn?

I don't think I'm getting this rule... please help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It means what it says: if you draw at least one, which is to say one or more, Infection card of the Virulent Strain, then you draw 1 more card than the current rate.

In your example, you drew two black cards. Two is one or more; so you draw one extra Infection card. The rate in your example is two, so you draw one more for a total of three. You don't draw one per card, and if the extra is also black you don't draw another extra. You just draw a total of three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
prbrain1 wrote:
The rule on the card states: If at least 1 Infection card of the Virulent Strain is drawn in an infection phase (and the Virulent Strain is not eradicated) draw 1 more Infection card than the current Infection Rate.

Does that mean, for every Infection card you draw of the Virulent Strain, you have to draw another Infection card?

No.

Quote:
If the strain is black, the rate is set at 2, and you draw two black cards, does that mean you have to draw two more Infection cards?

No; you draw 1 more Infection card, since at least 1 black card was drawn.

It is 1 more draw if *at least* 1 black infection card is drawn (in this example), not 1 more draw for *every* black infection card drawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seishin Shaolin Jedi
msg tools
Dude, you're awesome, thanks. I just wasn't too sure on the ruling. That clears it up for me, big time. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milton M
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Kind of surprised I didn't see this asked already, but what happens if the Virulent Strain gets eradicated? Do you still need to draw the one extra infection card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
mem10123 wrote:
what happens if the Virulent Strain gets eradicated? Do you still need to draw the one extra infection card?

As noted above: "The [text] on the card states: If at least 1 Infection card of the Virulent Strain is drawn in an infection phase (and the Virulent Strain is not eradicated) draw 1 more Infection card than the current Infection Rate."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milton M
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Hi Tom, thanks for the reply! I guess I didn't read the text in the above thread fully. FYI, the text on my card (from the 2nd edition) is a bit different and does not have the 'unless eradicated' clause. Mine says (on the card): "During Infections, draw 1 more card than the infection rate if at least 1 infection card drawn was a Virulent Strain card".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Hmm... there should be a note about this under Rate Effect in the rules (it got moved when the card text was simplified), but upon double-checking the rules, it looks like this slipped through the cracks. I'll get it fixed for a later rules version. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.