Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Black Coyote
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play solo. Ive conquered all the Mirkwood scenarios, save "Escape" which I hope to do (with another player)sometime in the future. Im not averse to playing with two decks but really prefer not to do it that way. I left LOTR to go back to the tabletop, after playing almost 'non stop' through all the Mirkwood cycle. I am now ready to dive into Khasad-dum and resume my Middle Earth addiction. I purchased Khazad-dum and all the Dwarrodelf AP's as they were released. MANY CARDS! I really like deck-building, but, ALL THOSE CARDS My question is this. Are there any especially useful cards from the Core/Mirkwood AP's that I should consider for the Khazad-dum/Dwaffodelf cycle? I realize many of the Heros have been duplicated, and of course the nuetral cards (Gandalf, Songs etc.) seem to still be OK. Can I rely on the new cards to satisfy these new scenarios, or must I dig out cards from the old set to help complete some. I dont entirely mind the 'fidleyness' of this, and consider myself fairly adept at building the decks, but it would be nice to simplify this process if possible. Any helpful ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance...Sorry for the overly long intro...
R.Keller>Black Coyote

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shrock
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dain is probably the single most important card (outside of core set staples) to pull from your SoM packs and use with KD/dwarrowdelf questing. Dwarves are such a big theme in this cycle, and Dain is key to pretty much every dwarf deck I have seen (at least prior to the Hobbit saga expansions, and perhaps even then).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Dain is pretty much compulsory. With him, you'll want lots of Dwarves in your deck. I still use Veteran Axehand, Erebor Hammersmith and Miner of the Iron Hills. Gimli is also quite handy for those tough monsters in Moria. Apart from anything dwarf-related I often (if not always) use Steward of Gondor, A Test of Will, Unexpected Courage, Citadel Plate, A Burning Brand, Rumour from the Earth, Feint from Core/SoM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
Apart from the usual suspects (Steward of Gondor, Gandalf, Unexpected Courage, etc.), there are a number of marginal Core Set/Mirkwood cards that really shine in KD/Dwarrowdelf.

Miner of the Iron Hills, for one, can come in quite handy. There are a couple really irritating Condition attachments in KD and The Redhorn Gate, so the Miner can certainly be of use in those scenarios.

Thalin and Gondorian Spearman are also terrific in the KD quests; most of the enemies have exactly two hit points, so Thalin can soften them up before the Spearman skewers them. You will wind up slaughtering goblins before they even get to attack. Descendant of Thorondor also works quite well due to the fragile enemies.

A Burning Brand is always pretty darn good, but it is especially helpful in KD. Many shadow effects add enemies to the staging area, and it is easy to get overwhelmed. ABB (and, to a lesser extent, Hasty Stroke/Dunedain Watcher) helps you keep the goblin count manageable.

Those are just a few off the top of my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Field
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside form the nasty shadow effects, Arwen and Frodo will see to most of your defending worries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Coyote
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks much for the great ideas. Crawling 'into the pit' as you read this. gulp
R.Keller
Black Coyote

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.