Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Here's my situation:

1 mouse is captured, he's 1st on the itiative track (already missed 2 turns)
1 roach on the board
5/6 cheese on the wheel
This is key: Last mouse on the initiative track's turn

Do I:

a. Defeat the last minion? This would mean that after his turn is over, a cheese would be added to the wheel and a surge would occur. Thus not allowing the captured mouse to be recovered.

b. Not attack (do something else like pick up the "needle and thread" and move)? This would leave the minion on the board, meaning the captured mouse would still not be able to be recovered for another turn.

Strategically, option "b" is probably best since I would just take the first mouse to play and attack the minion, then the next mouse would be able to explore and leave the tile. Of course this doesn't work if during the attack the minion rolls a cheese, triggering the surge anyway.

For people who have played, what is my best option here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Caldwell
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With just those options I'd go with B. Get that mouse back (hopefully).

With that said, I'd also (depending on where the hourglass was) after getting your mouse back, I'd force the Surge. That way you're not fighting the normal enemies on the next tile, PLUS a surge.

Or you can play with the house rule (which they mention on the plaidhat faq) that last mouse on the initiative track defeats the final minnion, you don't add a cheese to the wheel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Unimpressed wrote:
Or you can play with the house rule (which they mention on the plaidhat faq) that last mouse on the initiative track defeats the final minnion, you don't add a cheese to the wheel.

That would solve everything! Except that I like your point about not wanting to fight all the regular minions and the surge on the next tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis O'Connor
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would do B, get the mouse back, force the surge before you hit the new tile then hit the new tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis O'Connor
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TravmacDaddy wrote:
I would do B, get the mouse back, force the surge before you hit the new tile then hit the new tile.

After you defeat the surge minions hit the new tile I mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Mo
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Personally the way me and my friend play it in that situation depends on what is coming in with the surge. If its just some rats or a spider then we force the surge and clear the board since the 4th mouse usually isn't needed.

If the surge is a crawler then we'll retreat from the minion to prevent another cheese and wait until the next mouse turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, unless I'm misinterpreting something in the situation, I don't think there's any way you can get that captured mouse back before having to deal with the surge minion(s). You can only get a mouse back on his turn if there are no minions on the tile, and there's no way the tile can be clear for his turn if he's the first on the initiative track. The only way that would happen is if the tile was also clear at the end of the round, which would trigger the surge with 5/6 cheese already on the minion wheel.

Whether I went for the minion or waited until next turn would probably depend on board position and what minion was coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
RMGreen wrote:
Hm, unless I'm misinterpreting something in the situation, I don't think there's any way you can get that captured mouse back before having to deal with the surge minion(s).

This is exactly my dilemma. Unless I play with some house rule that says when the last mouse defeats the last minion, we don't add a cheese to the wheel when his/her turn ends. Then I could get the captured mouse back.

The surge minion is a spider. If it came out and the captured mouse's initiative card is ahead of the spider's, that mouse would miss another turn. Not so bad in a solo game, but if we had 4 players, it would suck to have a player miss 3+ turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the last mouse defeating the last minion thing comes up way too often, especially with a tight game and a lot of cheese on the wheel. I really wish that Jerry would just amend that rule and WRITE IT CLEARLY in bold print in the online rulebook that, if the last mouse defeats the last minion, then no cheese is added to the wheel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jefferies
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
My name is Oobydoob Scooby-dooby Banooby. I have the silliest name in the galaxy. (Thumb Wars)
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see why the rules need amending. Seems to me that what people are really asking for is for the game to swing in their favor under the conditions described! So it's a pain in the butt for a cheese to be added to the wheel after the last mouse has taken its turn...but so what! It's a pain when you role a 7 in Settlers and you have to lose half your hand...but that's the way the game plays so we live with it. I don't see why it's such an issue here. Jerry lets us house rule it, and that's ok, but just because it sucks doesn't mean the there's something wrong with the game! We leave the rule as it is and just move on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why so defensive? The water rules could have been left as they were written in the rulebook, too.

Not wanting to kill the last minion with the last mouse feels cheesy.

And I've played this game about 10 times. It happens way too much and should at least be addressed in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
What's the water rule change?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
What's the water rule change?

You can't move against the arrow, doesn't change much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can't move against the arrow??? When did that happen? That's a massive change...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Original rules omitted it, iirc. Designer confirmed it was a mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suddenly the water makes more sense (it's now a real peril)... eek!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.