Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
.... or at lest annoyed.

Why are 1 in 10 games i buy (or maybe more) missing or damaged components?

Oh... sure... publishers allways send the missing parts, but why should i have the hassle of making sure my game are complete? I allways have to count the components to make sure they are all there. I even have to look at extended part listings sometimes to make sure.

If i buy a game i want to be able to play it when i read the rules. Then i find out that pieces are missing and have to wait for 2-4 weeks to get my game completed.

In my latest order i had issues with Railroad Tycoon, Antike, gloom and Byzantium.... and i haven't even checked all the games yet.

Railroad Tycoon have goods cubes that looks like somebody chewed on them. not to mention the warping board and the blue/purple issue.

Antike has the same problem + i have a skinny meeple - half a thick as the rest. Not a big problem, but he has trouble standing up.

Byzantium has all the player tokens and field army pawns missing + one green cube - but i got an extra white and red cube... weeeeeee......

Gloom... ok i was aware of the, but the white text on the red background are *impossible* to read - not just hard (as mentioned in reviews)

All this is just bad, bad quality control. What would happen i i bought a new car and the steering wheel was missing. "ok.. send us your adress and you will have it by mail in 3-4 weeks"

Whew... i got that off my chest.... funny... i don't feel better at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Li'l Ronnie Post
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
alfons wrote:
Whew... i got that off my chest.... funny... i don't feel better at all.

Tsk, tsk, tsk..

You neglected the most important part of venting - the automatic weapons fire! A frag grenade or two always does wonders for my mood too, when I've had a bad day... arrrh

Whaaat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok... a quick recount of Byzantium...

Red cubes - 3 damaged
Blue cubes - ok
Green cubes - 1 missing
Yellow cubes - 5 damaged
Orange cubes - 1 extra but it's damaged
White cubes - 1 extra
Purple cubes - ok

Red tokens - 4 missing (all)
Blue tokens - 4 missing (all)
Green tokens - 4 missing (all)
Yellow tokens - 4 missing (all)

Red pawns - 2 missing (all)
Blue pawns - 2 missing (all)
Green pawns - 2 missing (all)
Yellow pawns - 2 missing (all)

Silver coins - 1 extra
Copper coins - 1 extra

All the city tokens are ok

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chalk up one advantage to the FLGs. After purchase you can immediatly open the box while still in the store and point out missing parts or exchange damaged componants right then and there.

(Assuming there's another box to plunder from.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gialmere wrote:
Chalk up one advantage to the FLGs. After purchase you can immediatly open the box while still in the store and point out missing parts or exchange damaged componants right then and there.

(Assuming there's another box to plunder from.)

In my case you would have to take the L out of FLGS... and maybe F too - who knows

That leaves me with "Game Shop"

I would have to drive about 220 miles away, Take a ferry both ways (150$ - if i can get the cheap tickets) AND i would have to pay for parking. Our gas prices are way higher than yours (just under 6$ for a gallon). On top of that i would have to take a day off at work. Checking in the store wouldn't be practical as i tend to buy 10-20 games at a time. Those missing pieces would cost me about 376.61$ - on top of that i would have to buy food and something to drink.

I could do it without taking a day off, but the i would have to spend the night in a hotel - that would probably cost me a little less. And that's just to get the missing pieces. so if i had to shop there too it would cost me about 800$ for two trips.

There not much money left for games by now

The next factor for me to consider are their prices. The are around 100% higher than online shops in Germany.

I have a shop closer to my location, but they only have a small selection. I have been there and i found nothing i would buy.

It would actually be cheaper for me to drive to Germany - and i even live (almost) as far from the German border as possible - only 25 miles short.

I just might drive to Germany to shop one day, but i can't find much infomation on german FLGS's close to the danish border. I tried to email Gandalph in Flensburg over a year ago (several times) but i haven't heard from them........ yet!

So there you have it. For the cost of driving to the GS and back two times, i can mail order 30-40 games in Germany - i think i will stick to that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Lord alfons! You ARE between a rock and a hard place. I don't envy your dilemma.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
s i tend to buy 10-20 games at a time.

Please, don't taunt those of us who are reduced to trading for CheapA** games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about that At least you don't have as many problems with missing or damaged components as i have. Consider youself lucky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy cow. 1 in 10?? I have only needed to rquest replacement parts 2 or 3 times ever...

And one of those was a bad part I got in a trade...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I never take inventory of my games. wow
Hold me...I'm frightened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you should change of on-line store...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand your pain. I have had to deal with many games that came with damaged or missing parts. Cosmic Encounter (mayfair version), Samurai, Fist of Dragonstones, Tigris and Euphrates, Roborally... I'm sure there are others, but I just remembered that I need to bug them again to send me my missing roborally card. And those are just the ones that I can remember off the top of my head that were missing components, let alone ones with damaged components.

From my point of view, it is just something you have to learn to deal with. It could be worse... it could be raining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walker
United States
Culver City
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear you . . .

Recently, I got a Settlers game for a family member, and it came without cards . . . . It's tough to play that way, and not fun at all. This game that was supposed to be an introduction to euros for the holidays, well, . . . wasn't.

I have a copy of RA with some 50 odd unreadable, unusable tiles. Granted, I received an entirely new copy, and I’m happy, but . . .

I can't imagine that this state of affairs is cost effective for the game publishers. I mean, from what I know, they don't make all that much per game anyway, and paying customer service people, sending free bits, (not to mention free games), and all the other nonsense that comes from really poor quality control, has to kill profits.

Also, the negative experience has its cost. In a world where your game is just another box on a shelf, and you sell to people who will only buy one game, maybe not caring about this makes economic sense. However, that's just not the case for most game producers, who likely sell repeatedly to the same niche market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aljovin wrote:
Sounds like you should change of on-line store...

What difference would that make?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
The only damaged game I've had in recent times was Twilight Struggle and it was rather minor. One of my card decks had been nicked by a exacto knife it seems when the game was being put together and 5 cards had noticable marks on the edges/backs. GMT had the replacement cards in my hands in a week. No trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alfons wrote:
.... or at lest annoyed.

Oh... sure... publishers allways send the missing parts, but why should i have the hassle of making sure my game are complete? I allways have to count the components to make sure they are all there. I even have to look at extended part listings sometimes to make sure.

Relax! You have seen nothing yet:

Antike was missing 2 black armies.
Freya's Folly Bat cards are misprinted + 1 cylinder wrong.
Elasund had all graphics on the back side of the countersheets messed.
Timbuktu missed 2 camels.

And that was only the games in my latest order (8 games total).

Not to mention other production problems: wraping boards, damaged components, bad color choices, tiny text on cards, e.t.c

To their credit i always get the missing components from the online stores where i bought the games or the game publisher.

Another option is to order some common components like cubes and cylinders in different colors from sites like www.spielmaterial.de so you have spares until the replacements arrive. I have a large bag full of cubes, markers, disks, cylinders, e.t.c

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:

Another option is to order some common components like cubes and cylinders in different colors from sites like www.spielmaterial.de so you have spares until the replacements arrive. I have a large bag full of cubes, markers, disks, cylinders, e.t.c

Or i could borow from one of the other games i own - but i don't want to... I want a complete game the moment i pay for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
Talk about incredible bad luck. Wow.

I'm not going to jinx myself by making too many comments here, other than to say that I feel your pain. Getting an incomplete game is like finding the last few chapters in a book are missing (and I've had that happen...grrr).

What indeed makes your situation worse is the fact that you got them all by mail/delivery, so you really can't make it all better with the snap of your fingers (or a drive across town).

I'm guessing you've begun to write the customer relations folks at the game companies to get your missing pieces? I've never had a problem getting replacement parts (though it has taken awhile), and most companies have been very friendly and helpful in these matters.

Good luck to you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's never a problem getting the missing pieces, but i have to wait to get them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/1861012#1861012

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
alfons wrote:

Oh... sure... publishers allways send the missing parts, but why should i have the hassle of making sure my game are complete?

On the bright side, the "Thank you Rio Grande Games!" threads seem to be a good way to get thumbs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.