Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

Sam Mustafa has advised that "For a limited time: Get the complete Maurice full-color book AND card set for only $39 plus shipping!

The offer comprises a 104-page full color book, and a boxed set of 108 playing cards."

More details can be found on the Honour website at:

http://www.sammustafa.com/honour/

This is a pretty good opportunity to get both the rules and the cards for cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it have a wealth of information on how the armies fought each other and changed throughout the period?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have a look at my rulebook tonight and let you know.

From what I recall, the cards are for pure gameplay and are tied into the 'imaginations' campaign system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
Does it have a wealth of information on how the armies fought each other and changed throughout the period?

Sean,

I'm afraid not, but it's still a cracking wee game.

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim, can you suggest a set of miniatures rules that do? Like something that shows the transformation of the French army in the period or the fact that Austrian cavalry declined as the era went on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean,

I've just clicked on this before retiring for the night. I will get back to you within a day or so. Although not for this period, I enjoy Beneath the Lily Banners for a slightly earlier time.

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur with Jim.

I had a look at the rulebook last night and apart from , well, rules there are three battle scenarios (Kolin, Brandywine and one other which escapes me for now) but there really isn't too much in-depth historical information.

Conversely, Sam A. Mustafa's Might and Reason is quite useful for tracing how troop quality can vary from the War of Austrian Succession to the Seven Years War (7YW). All of this is done within the parameters of the Might and Reason rules, but enough information is present that it may be worth your while to consider this as an option.

From memory it traces the improvements in the Prussian army, slow and then, Post-Minden, rapid decline in the quality of French infantry and the Austrian usage of irregulars. Somw of this is captured in the 'tips and tactics' downloads here:

http://sammustafa.com/Resources/ArmyTips.pdf

One book which I still regret passing up on was Christopher Duffy's Instrument of War which charted the Austrian Army in the 7YW. I'm not sure if anyone has ever written something similar on the French army of the period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sean,

why do you want your history lessons from a wargames ruleset? There dozens of books on the period that will give you a better idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jurdj wrote:
Sean,

why do you want your history lessons from a wargames ruleset? There dozens of books on the period that will give you a better idea?

Actually, as I read it, I think he wants the rules to reflect the historical changes that he has already garnered from his history books.

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What Jim said. Oh, and thanks for the information Muz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries at all, Sean.

Please let us know if you end up picking up either of these rules and, if so, what you make of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
oneilljgf wrote:
jurdj wrote:
Sean,

Actually, as I read it, I think he wants the rules to reflect the historical changes that he has already garnered from his history books.

Jim

Est. 1949

Sorry if I misread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No harm no foul Jur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean,

I have had a really good look around and that's what's taken me so long to reply. I just can't find even one set of rules than fills the criterion you set.

Regards,

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jim. My hope is that as I develop the Hold the Line series I can do just what I mentioned here: show the varied fortunes of armies in this era.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.